Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coyotes Everywhere!
 Login/Join

posted
Okay somebody help me out.....Last night a buddy and I went out calling here in Iowa and with the full moon you could see awesome because of all of the snow. We made 4 different stands but nothing came running in...we start off our sequence with howls like a male and female and the whole countryside would explode with coyotes!! I'm betting there were at least 8-10 different howls back at us but nothing came in. After the howling sequence, we would let it rest for a few minutes and start in with the PC-2 rabbit screamer. Still nothing?? Does anybody know whats going on cause we know that they are there but just not coming in. And yes we walk into the wind and where great camoflauge!!

Thanks,

Fast Freddie

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert but try just the rodent call at first,,,you may be turning them off with the howling

Location Western NC,,, via alot of other places,
One wife
Two kids
Three Glocks
and a couple cats.

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
try the rabbit (prey) call first. howling is great for finding out if coyotes are around, but it will usually not bring them closer.

if they don't get closer than 75-100 yards or so, they aren't coming in. move on to another spot or take your best shot. try using a different voice (call), and call for 15-20 minutes.

it would be a good idea to have a shotgun or other close range weapon just in case they come in on the run.

have fun.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot can be said for a coyote being wary, they will usually try to use the wind to their advantage so be sure to watch behind you as well as in front. And yes, take a shotgun with you, we had several come within a few feet of us from behind this year. Somewhat unnerving to turn around and look at a couple inside of ten feet away.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well the only videos that I have seen for calling coyotes is none other that the legend Randy Anderson. In all his video's he starts all his stands with a few welcome howls then proceeds with the rabbit sequence. In late January and in February is breeding season here in Iowa and they have also said that a rabbit squealer won't do you any good...you need to stick to your howlers only by imitating a male and a female intruding in on there territory. Did anybody else watch "Primos Truth about Hunting" last night and watch Randy in action?? Thanks for the input....

Fast Freddie

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Granted, the howler may work during the peak of breeding season, but a coyote gets hungry year-round, so one of the distress calls is still your best bet -- no matter what any of the "experts" may profess. Trust me, these calls work all season long.

Try a change of pace, such as a bird in distress or fox pups/rabbit. And even with camoflouge, calling on a moonlit night is TOUGH. A coyote is familiar with its surroundings and will pick up on anything out of the ordinary. Be sure you are not skylined and that your outline is completely broken up. Also make sure there are no reflective areas on your guns. Lastly, liberal use of a good cover scent is a must, even if you are working the wind. A coyote will almost always circle to pick up your scent, and if he does detect human presence, chances are you'll never even know he was there.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try doggie biscuits. Big Grin

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote