Tools

Crosshairs on Crows
 Login/Join

posted
Crosshairs on Crows - Article 1972

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot my share of crows over the last 40 years.

I once set up a blind in a car port in suburbia with a benchrest and .177 pellet gun aimed at a pile of bird feed in the drive way. I put a pellt through two crows with one shot, and they both flew away. I learned that a neck or head shot was needed for crows with the .177.

I have shot them with the CB ammo in a 22 rimfire in the suburban trees. The trajectory must be just right, but the crows will go down with a body shot.

Out in the sticks, my favorite way to shoot crows is with a 12 ga.

I have watched a single crow eat dozens of song bird hatchlings. We all need to do our part to shoot crows.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nickundu
Not much new under the sun!
This guy was using bipods in 1972 and as he says are the follow on from the buffalo hunter's crossed sticks!
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Nic, Thanks for sharing this wonderful bit of nostalgia. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Catskill, woodchucks of my youth and now one of my favorite targets... the crow.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
Nic, Thanks for sharing this wonderful bit of nostalgia. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Catskill, woodchucks of my youth and now one of my favorite targets... the crow.

When my time comes, the "Happy Hunting Grounds" of my choice will be eternal Summer, in the Catskills (after the first cutting, of course!). Big Grin

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu, I "got a grip" on your fondness for "after the first cutting" on the groundhogs!! After the first cutting of the hay, the young ones are big enough to make it on their own!! You aren't decimating the "potential targets" like you'd be if you shot every groundhog you see in mid April!!! And the crows..........more fun than eatin beans with a good caller, plus mouth callers in fall, winter and early spring!! Bring a healthy supply of shotgun shells!! Big Grin clap beer GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote