THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Advice on a good rifle in a 223

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on a good rifle in a 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to purchase a bolt action rifle in the 223. There seems to be a wealth of information here about them but I'm looking to hear why folks would choose what they suggest versus some other manufacturer. I've read where someone likes and dislikes certain makes of gun but not too much on 'why' they don't like certain ones. Someone hates Savage but I haven't heard actually why they despise them so much. I prefer to stay with "american made". Any suggestions, and which ones to stay away from and why. I've never had a 223 so its all new to me. Also, should I get a 10lb rifle with 26" barrel or 7.5-8lb with 22" barrel?Thanks.

Posts: 70 | Location: N. Utah | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of JVD22250
posted Hide Post
I don't own a .223, but I have a Savage .22-250. I know savage catches a lot of flak because they are not a "pretty" rifle (I really don't see it, I just wish they would take the "Savage" off of the bolt.

I like the 3 position safety, free-floating barrel, and the accutrigger.
Out of the box with factory ammo, It would shoot 1-inch groups at 100 yards.
Now that I have some loads worked up for it, I have shot .3 inch groups **if I do my part**

About the only thing that I don't like, is that my scope (6X18 Luepold) sits so close to the barrel that I can't use flip up scope caps.

The two big things that impressed me the most was the Accu-trigger and the out-of-the-box accuracy.

Have a great day!

John VanDusen
Ishpeming, MI
"YOOPERLAND U.S.A."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The accutrigger is something that has me looking at a Savage, as well as the claimed accuracy by many here. I am looking at the 2005 catalog right now and am interested in the model 12fvss. But I like the looks of the Remingtons and their claims of superior accuracy out-of-the-box as well. I own a couple of old Winchesters but they don't seem to have much following on here. And the folks here know a heck of a lot more about these rifles then I.

Thanks for the reply, John. (GO BLUE)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez, that Ruger model M77 Mark II Standard is a good looking gun. I prefer the look with "no open sights".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teesh

I just picked up a used likd new 12FV from a buddy. I knew the gun it's been a shooter since it came out of the box. I guess it maybe had 50 rounds through it. He just wanted something lighter. I'm going to be using is as a PD gun to light isn't important. But you may want to consider that. I think the FV12SS is a very nice looking rifle myself. It does weigh 8.75 pounds with no scope.

If your looking for a carry rifle like my friend you may want to consider one of these at 6.5 pounds.

16fxp3

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MAU MAU
posted Hide Post
I personally like Weatherby bolt rifles. They make a Super Varmit Master in .223 which is a great gun. http://www.weatherby.com

Posts: 227 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesI own Ruger and Savage varmint rifles. They are both good but the Savage has a slight edge in the repeatability dept. and Trigger touch. You can enjoy either. The Stevens Mod 200 I resently got is also an accurate rifle but the trigger doesn't compare withe the Ruger or the Savage, but for the price it is just dandy. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at the Kimber Pro Varmint as my "next" rifle. Adjustable trigger and fast lock time. Mauser type action. Fluted simi heavy 22" inch SS barrel. Seems to have lots going for it. Some of the compaints have been adressed such as bolts too tight/rough. One thing I like about Kimber is they actually make their own barrels in house. So your not at the mercy of this months quality of barrels shipped in by Shaw,Wilson or Douglas like with other rifle makes. I looked at a .243 montana and it seemed to be a very nice quality rifle. I know some of the early ones has birthing pains but I think Kimber has finally got its ducks in a row on this very nice rifle. FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an older (non accu-trigger) Savage 10FP in .223 that I like a lot. I replaced the original stock with one from Sharp Shooters Supply. My walk around varmint rifle in .223 is a Howa 1500. Another rifle to consider is the Cooper Model 21. I have not shot one but have handled several and they seem extremely well made.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
Considering the cost of a new rifle, I think everyone should start with a subscription to Gun Tests. Would you shop for a car without checking Consumer Reports first?
Savage is probably the best deal for the money, but if you fall in love with a different action, check to see the resale values in case it isn't what you'd hoped for.
I for one drool over the mini-Mauser actions, but I like them in almost any size & caliber. I would also have a tendency to prowl the used gun racks with a good bore light and check out the price on the web before buying.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the CZ. Very accurate right out of the box.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I personally like the Remington 700.I like the way the Remingtons fit me personally. I would have to say that I really like the appearance of them, they seem to me to have look of quality to them. They don't look cheap, they do have models that are cheap & look the part. I like the fact that you can adjust the trigger & not have to replace them with an after market one. I have several of their varmint models in various calibers. I don't have one in 223 ,but I am looking at the VLS in this caliber. I have not shot the Savage with the Accu-trigger so, I don't know how they compare with the Remington. The best thing would be to shoot as many of the different rifles as you could before laying down your hard earned cash.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 .223. Deadly accurate, right out of the box, fantastic looking wood, groups with most factory ammo under an inch at 100yds all day, mostly 1/2 inch i find. Great set trigger for range use, well balanced, no nonsense rifle, ect, ect.
Its a lot of rifle for your money. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have lots of .223s, but the one that gets used is a Ruger #1.

My hands enjoy operating it.

I know it's not a bolt action, sorry.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really can't think of any BAD 223s on the market....

Seems to me, that find one you like, for a budget you wish to spend...

YOu don't have to go with something spendy to have a good accurate rifle....

Go with a light sporter barrel for coyotes etc.. or a heavy barrel if you are looking at larger volume of shooting....

Depending on your ideas on accuracy.. barrel life should be from 6,000 to 10,000 rounds easily....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. I just stopped tonight and looked at the Remington model 700 LV SF in .223. I'm really likin' it. I want somehting a bit more nimble then a heavy barrel 26 inch varmint only. This Remington is a light weight 22" that I feel will be somewhat more versatile. I will most likely buy another later in the heavy barrel, possibly a Savage. Thanks again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a remington 700LTR for several years and love it and everyone that handles it is impressed.w/regards

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Their are several very nice rifles chamberd in .223 and they all hve REMINGTON in the name.
Dr B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's a matter of deciding if you want the most accurate brand name, or a more famous one. NO-BODY makes as accurate a rifle as the Savage, even for twice the money. AccuTrigger = 1.5lb trigger pull, that big stock = smaller groups, Savage cuts all six flutes at once, everybody else cuts them one at a time; visualize a milling machine cutting one flute as the barrel flexes/bends 180-degrees away from the cutter. Any guess as to how much of a "stress-set" that series of bends induces in a barrel? Nearly every 223 heavy Savage I have seen will shoot at or under the 1/2" mark at 100yds for an average of five 5-shot groups. I rechambered one from 223 (oh yeah, guess who uses a 1:9" twist so you can shoot heavier bullets?) to 22-284, and one to 22-378Wby-Ackley (45-degree shoulder) and shot 80gr JLK custom bullets. The 22-284 at 3600fps and the 22-378 at 4400+fps. The 22-284 still (after 1500+ rounds)in the low .3's. The 22-378, after 120-150 rounds the barrel is toast.

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunz
posted Hide Post
I dont own a 223 yet, but I am looking currently. As for manufacturers, I own a couple savage rifles, a ruger, and a browning. The browning needed the magazine opened up to accomidate a full length bullet to fit the rifle properly. the ruger is a well made gun but seems to lack the accuracy of my savage rifles. i have been on other forums where i am criticized for my attraction to the savage rifles, But statistics speak volume.The 2 best rifles i own are both savages.I sold my other guns and now I look primarily for savage.

Most people are link slinkies, Basically useless but fun to push down the stairs.

Posts: 265 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote