THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    6mm BR or PPC Cooper or Dakota Predator?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm BR or PPC Cooper or Dakota Predator?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
Hi,

I am really interested in getting a Varmint/half ass BR gun. I have found a used Nesika 6mm BR for what I beleive to be a good price. I have also found a Cooper in 6mm PPC for what is an awesome price. Then I found some 6mm PPC Predators for $2000-2400 depending on the model.

I am also going to buy a Remington 40X KS in 243 for the same type of varmint hunting.

The real choice is the Cooper versus the Predator and the 6mm BR versus 6mm PPC.

What do you think?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A poster (Bryce or BJS) on GoGO Varmint and Saubier has a 6mm PPC Cooper, and has posted extensive load and group data, plus general comments.

And have you visited
http://www.6mmbr.com ...lots of info.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99

Why would you want a half assed BR gun for $2000-2500 when you can get the real thing for less? A real BR gun would have a lot better action and probably be more accurate. An example below.

The real thing.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would choose the 6BR. Dont have to fireform brass, shoots 105 A-max well out to a 1000 yards.

look here: www.6mmbr.com

Also look at their varmint section.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am going to build one on a Savage short action. I already ordered the stocks and as soon as I get the actions, I will order the barrels and go-no go dies.

I had heard it might be wise to headspace off of the Lapua 6mm BR brass after I ran it through my full length sizer die. Then double check it with the go/no go gauges.

Going to end up doing two rifles on the Savage short action repeaters 6.5-284, 22-250, and two on the single shot 6mm BR, and 243. Hopefully the Left Port right bolt guns are ready this Fall. I am going to be using the Shilen barrels on the 243 and 22-250 and Pac-Nor on the 6mm BR and 6.5-284.

I had read a report recently about the comparison between the Pac-Nor and the Douglas for easy to install Savage barrels. The Douglas were reported to be pretty rough on the inside.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I sent an email to Hart about pre-threaded and chambered barrels for the Savage.

Looks like I can build a rifle for $1000-1400. I would be about the same on a Cooper, and not have a compariable rifle.

I am thinking about buying a couple of custom actions from Nesika or Bat. I want to build a few on the Savages and see how they work before I get too worried about another one.

A man can never have too many Varmint rifles.

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
Hey D99. I was just at my gun shop the other day (williams Gunsight) and they had a custom 40x just delivered from the remington custom shop. Quality and finish was very poor. they sent it back to remington thinking it wasnt finished and or somehow slipped through. Remington C-shop called them saying no it was accepatable by their standards. williams told them to keep it after the guy that ordered it had waited 6-7 monthes for it. The manager was flabergasted at tihs never had he had a qulaity problem like this with the custom shop but this was terrible. I would hold off on a 40x for now iafter seeing this with my own eyes. not trying to start something but I saw it for myself

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99: send a mail to these: http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/

They are know as one of the best pepole to build on savages. They usually have barrels in stock, they have their own line of stocks only for savage.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm BR is a great longer range cartridge.
The 6mm PPC is the undisputed benchrest king. The bench shooters usually shoot 100/200 yds and some 300 yd events. These are the 6PPC guys.
The 6mm PPC usually shoots 60 to 70 grain bullets in slower twist barrels. The long range 6mm BR shooters use 105/107 grain bullets in fast twist barrels.
So if you want to shoot light weight bullets over shorter distances the 6mm PPC is a tough one to beat in a quality rifle. If you want to shoot longer ranges and /or heavier bullets then the 6mm BR is a good choice, again in a quality rig.
Just my opinion

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I agree with Muck. The 6mmBR Norma is an outstanding medium to long range prairie dog killer. Low blast,low recoil and barrel friendly.

The Lapua 77gr HP's are great on the PD's to beyond 500yards.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Dave,

What kind of groups were you getting with the R93?

Some of mine are super accurate some are 1.5 inch guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D99,

After reading your posts and questions about the PPC vs. BR, and Dakota vs. Cooper; I'd like to offer you a few suggestions that will save you lots of $$$$, headaches, and precious time.

Since I have "been there and done that" many times, I would highly suggest you buy/build it right the first time, otherwise you will end up chasing your tail trying to save money.

Per your quote from above ..... "Going to end up doing two rifles on the Savage short action repeaters 6.5-284, 22-250, and two on the single shot 6mm BR, and 243 " ..... and ..."Looks like I can build a rifle for $1000-1400. I would be about the same on a Cooper, and not have a compariable rifle". If my math is correct, that's 4 different rifles costing roughly $1200.00 each; grand total invested comes to +/- $4800.00 !!

That doesn't even include additional fees such as: s/h, insurance values, taxes, etc.... On top of the fact that these "custom" rifles will be built on Savage actions. There is nothing wrong with the Savage action, or other "factory" actions for that matter; BUT you will lose your A$$ on re-sale value if you ever decide to sell these rifles. Take my word for it, a full blown custom Remington or Savage rifle is still only worth 50% to 75% of the money invested.

Possibility #1 : A NIB Cooper rifle will cost you the same amount of money (around $1200.00) as a custom Savage built rifle. However, the Cooper will easily hold it's re-sale value and be worth 80% to 90% of $$$ invested. To prove this point, go to GunsAmerica.com and see what used Coopers sell for. Plus Cooper stands behind their product and has top notch customer service. If your rifle does not shoot, they will work with you to get it shooting correctly.

Possibility #2 : You should seriously consider looking at the "Predator" action by Jerry Stiller, or the new "Sorry, I forgot the name" action by Jim Borden. Both are Remington 700 clones yet built on CNC machines to BR specifications. Extremely smooth actions that are already trued, blueprinted, and would make an awesome foundation for your custom rifle project. Priced around $700.00 and each made by top BR gunsmiths in the business. (go to benchrestcentral.com to check out pics and posts). Another important aspect, both these custom actions will accept a Jewell trigger. IMHO, if your going to build a custom varmint rifle, it has to have a Jewell trigger - there is no substitute !

Possibility #3 : If you want to spend about $2000.00 plus, call Kelbly's and have them build you a full blown custom rifle that will shoot tiny bugholes and be BR competitive. Since all your intended calibers are based on the standard .473" boltface, you may want to consider going with a switch-barrel rifle. Essentially 1 custom action and stock, with 4 seperate barrels chambered in your desired calibers.

Kelbly's built my custom rifle on a Stolle Kodiak action (RB/LP), single shot (repeater available), Varminter pattern stock, and I have 4 custom barrels : 6BR, 6PPC, 6mm AckImp, and 17PPC short. (see pics below). My barrels interchange in less than 10 seconds and the scope does not have to be removed. If I decide to shoot a 20BR, all I have to do is call Kelbly's and place my barrel order. They fit, chamber, and crown the barrel (without my rifle or action !!) and mail me the barrel once completed. The Stolle actions are so precise that Kelbly chambered barrels headspace and fit perfectly. Kelbly's also can complete you rifle and mail it to Italy with NO problems. They ship custom built rifles all around the world !!

Just some food for thought, as I wanted to offer you a few suggestions on what I have done. Finally since your looking for a varmint caliber, go with the 6BR and never look back.

cajun Blake <*)))>{

stolle kodiak custom rifle

kodiak action - RB/LP

Posts: 81 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 11 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying another Blaser R93 in 6mm BR and the Varminter guise.

So that's 8 R93 barrels and 4 stocks and 3 K95 barrels and one stock.

I already have all the parts for the Savage, except the action.

So I am going to put together a 22-250 Savage on a Shilen barrel for about $700.
The next one will be built on a Borden action.

Thanks for all the