New
Find
Notify
Tools

I traded my PSS for...
 Login/Join

<338Lapua>
posted
Well, I traded my Remington PSS 308 with a Springfield Armonry Gen 2 Scope for an Arnold Arms Accu-Custom with a 6.5-20x Leupold in 220 Swift.
The Arnold Arms is built on an old L571 Sako action with a very heavy barrel and McMillan stock.

Question though, The gun is coated with some sort of teflon finish, is there anyway to tell if the barrel is stainless?

Also, I know Arnold Arms is out of business, but other than that does anyone know anything about them.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check it with a magnet.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A magnet may not do it. The particular grade of stainless steel used for firearms isn't exactly "stainless steel". These barrels will rust with extended exposure to very harsh elements which means that they are ferrous (have iron in them...magnetic).

I would just call Arnold Arms, give them the serial number and ask them. I'm sure they have a record of it.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted
A magnet stuck to all of my barrels. Pac-Nor, Blackstar, and Krieger, it also stuck to my blued barrels from Remington, Dakota, etc.

Maybe I don't get it, what is the magnet trick.

JCS- Arnold Arms is out of business.

Jim

posted Hide Post
As far as Arnold Arms is concerned, I know on another site that there were an awful lot of customer complaints about a year ago. People having to wait for an unusually long period of time before getting their guns back and the work not always done.

Haven't heard anything recently.

Posts: 14 | Location: North Babylon, NY, U.S.A. | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Stainless barrels are generally manufactured from 416 series stainless. It's a free machining, magnetic grade of alloy. While there are a few series of stainless steels that are magnetic, most are NOT... hence the wide use of magnets to determine if a piece of metal is stainless or not. If your interested try a google search for "416 stainless", you can probably read for hours!

Posts: 37 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote