New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unertl varmint scopes!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to see Unertl homepage, and only to realize that they only make one riflescope now.....and its a tactical only.
i remember back 20 years ago(or more) that they had a program of all kinds of riflescopes
but I guess it died??: Frowner

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can find plenty of them on ebay. Not cheap!
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Jens Poulsen,
Am familiar with the scopes you mention, Unertl, and used them for number of years for prone long range match shooting. Dealer in Columbus, OH. area by the name of Champion Shooters Supply often times has those scopes in stock or has taken in on trade. Do a search, but believe his web site is www.championshooters.com Owner's name is Karl Yost and very well schooled on shooting and equipment. Hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
Can he answer basic junior level questions about wind drift?

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neverflinch:
Karl was a very active smallbore shooter. Used to do some highpower too I seem to remember. Any way I think that he could school many of us in wind drift.
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
It was a smart ass question directed at driver. Read the " Was sick of hearing about the 204" thread.

"In case of a thunderstorm stand in the middle of the fairway and hold up a 1 iron, not even God can hit a 1 iron"............Lee Trevino.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello muck,
You are certainly correct that Neverflinch and some others could learn a thing or two from those like Karl. They seem to want to discard any manner of reading of the wind and knowing "come ups" for elevation and tout how the fairly new round of 204 is the finest varmint round ever!! Could well be, but, when people making those claims do not even know or have a clue as to what MOA is and how it relates to shooting, I don't take their answers real seriously. Be sure and note the .440" group???? shot at 500 yards!!
That's right, .440" not .440 moa. Pretty thin I would say even for the magic Ruger 204. Anyway, glad to see you are aware of Karl and he is a tribute to the shooting sports and
have always enjoyed seeing him at Perry each year.

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
You're right driver I am sure that no one on this board knows what minute of angle means or that each degree in a circle can be broken down into 60 minutes, or that there are 21,600 minutes in a circle. Or that 1 minute equals 1/60th of a degree. Or that if you had a "1 degree" rifle it would shoot 60" groups (approx) at 100 yards. Those terms are so very complicated driver and I am sure no one on these boards knows what they mean.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Driver,

I was hoping you would take your MOA and your BOA to the benchrest forum!!!

If I looked right this is the varmint hunting forum!!!

Someone please tell me this is the varmint hunting forum!!!

lol

Cheers beer

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, Neverflinch, it was you that brought up the smart ass wind comment on an inquiry about a scope, not so?? Anyway, you can at least describe the components of a geometric figure known as a circle and for that you should feel very proud. Now, can you apply that vast knowledge to the wind/elevation of a scope to determine where your "varmint" shots are going to impact?? That definitely is a qualified varmint hunting question. Again, you are to be praised for your in depth knowledge of a circle and sure it will serve you well in all your endeavours.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all cheers

Have a nice Easter

sincerly

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drivel driven: Site troll - extraordinaire!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jens poulsen: Thank you for the kind Easter wishes.
I have owned and used (both at the range and in the field) numerous Unertl scopes! Some of the powers I have owned were 8x, 12x, 15x, 20x and 32x!
I am presently down to just three Unertl optics. One is the sensational BV-20 (20 power fixed target/Varmint scope) and one of the other is an exquisite Unertl spotting scope with 20 and 27 power eyepieces! When I really want to see something clearly and in its true colors I use this heavy Unertl spotter!
Yes Unertl unfortunately has virtually shut down all of its manufacture of target/Varmint Rifle scopes and like you inferred its mostly only doing military scopes.
Shame that.
I am somewhat hesitant to recommend you keep looking for Unertl optics as I am fully aware of their high costs and I worry about the ability of the present day Unertl folks to repair their old products.
My various Unertl scopes provide me with the ability to use them for extended periods of time with no eyestrain or headaches.
They are heavy scopes and rugged (at least I have never broken one or needed to have one repaired!).
Unertl optics are first rate and the adjustable objective features on mine were precise and easy to use.
My good friend Louie and I came across a Badger and a Golden Eagle having an extended talon and claw fight one afternoon on a Varmint Safari in SE Montana! We could not figure out at first what all the dust was flying up from! It turned out that the Badger and the Golden Eagle were entangled and rolling around and flapping and making quite a dust cloud. They would sometimes stop and seperate and then go at it again and again. I thought for sure the Golden Eagle was injured to the point it could not fly away and escape this Badger!
Eventually I set up my Remington 40X in 6mm Remington caliber (scoped with a Unertl 15x Ultra-Varmint scope) and killed the Badger as the Eagle looked on from 4 feet away! The Eagle then flew off as we approached the scene on foot!
I have a picture of myself, my Unertl scoped Rifle and the Badger at the spot where he fell.
I worried some, over the initial years of my use of the Unertl scopes and their exposed mounting and adjusting system - but they held up at least as well as my other scopes (as far as maintaining point of impact!).
Splendid optics the Unterls are (were?).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote