New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nikon 5.5X16.5
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to get a good scope for a new 223 without breaking the bank. Does anyone have any experience with the Nikon Monarch 5.5X16? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I have a Nikon Monarch, in 5.5-16.5x44, and a
new Nikon Buckmaster, in 6-18x40. IMHO, save
some money, and get the Buckmaster. My BM,
is the new "Side Focus", which is SWEET!
In a bench side by side comparison, the only
difference my eyes could see is just an ever so
slight difference in brightness. I had the BM
out this last weekend, near dark, and the BM
was brilliant in low light. I really can not
justify buying another Monarch, after getting
this Buckmaster. Now with this said, if I
have the money, and can get a Bushnell 4200
Elite, in a scope configuration that I want,
I would buy that over any of the Nikon scopes,
but this current Buckmaster is impressive.

Squeeze

P.S. I may have a Monday morning Nikon Monarch,
since many are impressed with Nikon Monarchs.
Mine has never impressed me, in bench top
comparisons, with Bushnell Elites. It is
clearer, and brighter, than my Leupold VXII,
though.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LJS: In the power range you are contemplating I also recommend you check out the Weaver V-16.
This is a 4 to 16 power variables model. This is a very impressive scope in my experience.
I have 4 of them and no problems so far with any of them.
I have both the Duplex type reticle models and one with the fine crosshairs and fine dot.
Love'em!
I bought 3 of the 4 scopes used or already on Rifles and consider them great values.
Good luck with your new 223.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
LJS: I am trying to sell a Monarch in 5.5-16x44, matte with sunshade. Let me know if you are interested, I was asking $310 shipped. They run around $400 and the sunshade is $25.

I love the scope, but I just sold another gun that has a 4.5x14 Sightron on it, so I have an extra scope. Thought it would be easier to sell the Nikon vs the Sightron.

One of Us
Picture of Coyote Caller
posted Hide Post
I have this scope on my 22-250 and love it. My friend has a 3x9 BM on his 270 that does seem just as clear. The the giggest difference i can see in them besides the magnification is the crosshairs. My UCC had a lot finer crosshairs and seems to be better for target shooting. Both are good scopes in my opion.
Good luck on which ever you choose.

Posts: 56 | Location: Utah | Registered: 13 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have that 5.5-16.5 x44 Monarch on my 22/250. I really am liking that scope very clear, bright etc.
I found mine in gloss at Midway for 349.99 and thay knocked another 29.99 off for me, new in the box.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Does anyone have any experience with the Nikon Monarch 5.5X16? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Very nice scopes very clear. That power range would be ideal for Colony Varmints. I'd prefer a little lower power on the bottom end. Have you looked at the Busnell 4200 4 X 16 very nice about $75 less than the nikon and also a quality scope. I personally have their 2.5 X 10 on one of my calling rifles.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote