New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 MOA Bases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone with experience with these bases tell me if you can get your rifle on paper at 100 yards with these bases. I have a 36x old style leupold 1 inch tube on a 22-250 and want to stretch it to 1000 + yards for prairie dogs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 6mm rem varmint special setup w/20moa base. rifle is sighted 0 at 200yrds. I've got that rifle worked out to 650yd comeups- so far!

Simple answer is-yes, you can get on paper at 100yds.

Stevo

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Manderson, The 20MOA Leupold bases (or whatever brand you select) will allow you to get on paper at 100 yards and then go a "long way out there"!!! For instance.....If you hve a scope with 40MOA verticle adjustment and to be sighted in at 100 yards you are 4-5MOA below "median or center of scope adjustment" by putting the "LR" base on the rifle, you have just "lowered the center" of the adjustments on the internal parts of the scope! So now you may have 36MOA UPWARD ADJUSTMENT on the sme scope!!! Rather than 20 to 24MOA using the regular base!!! Bushnell 4200's are a prime example of needing the extra MOA's!!! Great scopes, great tracking(dialing up and down) and great clarity all the way to the edges!! You can get "on paper" with them but you can fully utilize the scope by mounting them on a "LR" base!!! And I use this system on a Remington VLS 6mm with great confidence!!! My click chart goes to 1300 yards!!! 87 grain VMAXs will follow the chart SUPERBLY to 800-850 yards!! 105 Hornady AMAXS will go the whole 1300!!! Bottom line is that the 20MOA bases work!!! If you want to go the "cheap side" of this, then cut you some shims from a Coca-Cola(Pepsi or DrPepper if you prefer) Miller-Lite, Coors Lite, Bud-Lite, or Budweiser can!!! Each shim is .004 or 4MOA......takes 5 of them to equal the Leupold "LR" base!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geez GHD 800+ with the 87 V-Max-- pretty good. I couldn't get the 87 V-Max to shoot out of my 6 AI so went with the 87 BTHP instead-- but it'd still do <MOA to 800 with no wind. Love that 87 V-Max tho when it shoots good.

Just add the total MOA of your scope adjustments to the 20 MOA base, and check the ballistics printout for your load and see if it works. BUT best to leave yourself a little "fudge" room in case the ballistics printout/calcs aren't exactly right. Best to ensure your windage is adjusted so that the erector tube is mechanically centered so u have the max. amount of up adjustment also. This is one of the reasons i always use the Burris Posi-Align ring/insert system-- lots of flexibility built into that system-- for sure.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want to go the "cheap side" of this, then cut you some shims from a Coca-Cola(Pepsi or DrPepper if you prefer) Miller-Lite, Coors Lite, Bud-Lite, or Budweiser can!!! Each shim is .004 or 4MOA......takes 5 of them to equal the Leupold "LR" base!! GHD

GHD,

Correct me if I am wrong, but at one shim per can, that would be 5 cans of beer per scope. If I want to shim 5 scopes, that is 25 beers. A case of beer is 24 cans. I need more. But then I have to figure in mistakes.........I should probably get a case and an 18 pack just to make sure. Oh what the hell, 2 cases and then I know I got enough. Correct????
beer

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks GroundHog!,

I have shimmed scopes before but only a couple of shims and haven't tried the 20moa bases. I have the bases ordered and should have them on the rifle this weekend. Several of us are going on a Pdog shoot and plan to have a 1000 yard shoot off.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
pdhntr1, Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin!! You don't have to use the whole can!!! Just a little sliver of the side metal will do the trick(.750x.888) will work(that's the measurements on a LA Rem 700) but I didn't measure the SA bases!!!) Anyway you can cut a lot of shims out of one can!!!! No need to buy a whole case or two!!!!.....unless it's for around the campfire after the shoot.....then have at it!!!!
manderson, Let us know how it goes!!! Last night I took the 6mmVLS out to the bench(bench is on my HOME property!!) and dialed it up to 300, 400, 200, 300, 400, back down to 200 and it performed PERFECTLY using the LEUPOLD "LR" base!!! Would have probably done the same deal if I'd taken it to "the mountain" and gone 500, 600, 700, 800!!! The load is 39.0 grains of VARGET, 87 grain VMAX, Federal 210 Match, C.OL. of 2.937"(throat has grown about 20/1000's over 800 rounds!!!) Let us know your results.......WITH PICS!!!! Charlie (GHD)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I decided to get a little more serious about this long range shooting. I bought the ballistics software from sierra. It is showing me that I need to change rifles to go to 1000 yards. THere will be so much wind drift in a .224 that is not practical. I'm bumping up to my 257 weatherby with 115 berger vlds. This looks alot better.

GHD have you tried the software data and how does it compare to the real thing?

one of us
posted Hide Post
manderson, I haven't used the Sierra version but my computer balistics prgram is "Load From A Disc" sent to me by a member of the LOHMAN Pro Staff from Texas.......flat out amazing!!! The computer generated tables compared to the actual data from shooting .223, .222MAG, .243, 6mm, 243AI, 25-06, .260, 7BR, 7mmMag, 300SAUM has been so close I think I could have just printed it off, stuck it on the side of the stock and gone shootin!!! Still dinking with the .204!! Will report data when I have it!!! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what bases you are talking about. Are they for standard or weaver rings? I have a 243 Ackley with a Leupold 6.5-20x40 with a 1" tube and I can adjust it from 100yds to 1000yds with about 12 clicks to spare. I use the Burris Signature Rings with the self aligning inserts. They also make some off set inserts in .005", .010", .020". This way you can get up to 40 moa without shiming the bases. Also, the inserts won't leave ring marks on your scope. They are self-aligning.

I ran your question through Quickload and it said you need 36.62 moa of adjustment in your scope to shoot the ranges you want. That's 147 clicks in your scope. Another problem you are going to run into is if you start a 50gr Balistic tip out at 3800 fps. You will go subsonic at around 800yds. Your bullet will start to tumble then. I would say about 750yds would be about the longest distance you could shoot accurately. The 40gr Nosler would be about the same but when you get to 500yds, the wind will really get to you.

Catch you later

The Big Dog

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Farrell base on the 7mm WSM for a while. The thing is heavy however and it makes the scope too high. Now I have Burris Signature rings on most of my rifles. If elevation or even windage is needed to center or raise a scope then their insert kit will do it with no take backs.

I would prefer the Signatures to any other ring anyway. This kills two, three or maybe four birds with one stone.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote