THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Nosler Custom Competition 52 grain HP. Anybody shot any vermin with them??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Custom Competition 52 grain HP. Anybody shot any vermin with them??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody here tried the Noler 52 grain HPBT Custom Competition bullets on vermin? Just courius as to "end result" and varmint performance. In the 222Mag the accuracy on paper is great. Will test in a 22-250 soon on paper but questioning whether they perform acceptably on actual live targets. Charlie (GHD)

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I'd think that they'd be similar to the 50 gr Berger FB target bullet in that they are a thicker jacketed bullet, that will not give optimum performance on critters smaller than a woodchuck (I use em for coyotes, they work awesome). I shot a 13 stripped gopher last week with a 50 gr berger FB target outta my 22-250, it killed it instantly, but I like more devastation and prefer tipped varmint bullets such as the 50 gr Sierra Blitz King. Loaded up some of those the next day and turned over half a dozen into "red mist" in a matter of 20 minutes!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't help U on the terminal preformance of that bullet, but it is HUGELY accurate in one of my 222's; 3 shots into a .147 group at 100 yards.
A side note. All I used for years for groundhogs in PA was the 52 grain Sierra Match bullet. I shot a lot of chucks back then.
Try 'em...

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Sierra 52gr HPBT Match King and the 53gr HP Match King in 22-250 and 220 Swift. On prairie dogs I don't get the "red mist" of a V-Max bot do get a significant number of hits and aerials. I haven't tried the Noslers, however I think their performance would be very similar.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot thousands of p dogs with 52gr serria hp matchs bullets they have worked just fine for me.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The SPEER 52 grain GOLD MATCH bullets used to turn the insides of groundhogs into stuff that looked like "Eisenglass dirt with a bunch of blood mixed in".........have to look for the entry, there was no exit.............just a dead varmint!! That was in a 222 Rem or a 22-250......no matter 3000fps or 3700fps! It worked! I guess I'm just getting a little nostalgic as I try to find projectiles that mimic what the "old timers" used! I guess I'm an "old timer" too!!SPEER 52 grain GOLD MATCHES with the 22-250 and WINCHESTER 90 grain P.E.P.'s in the 25-06(GOD'S chosen caliber) used to give some spendid results. Reckon I'll just stick to the SIERRA BlitzKings and HORNADY VMax's for now as they perform pretty darn well!! GHD

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Charlie,

I don't use them, as they have a bad habit of ricocheting... and where I shoot, there is a lot of irrigation pipes.. and I don't want to be paying some farmer to fix the holes in it..

terrain is open enough to not have to worry about hitting people, and we don't shoot near livestock..

back there in Virginia, I'd think it would be too populated to safely use them, regardless of on game performance..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GHD,
It's funny....cause I was going to get some of the Nosler match .224 also.
But after reviewing prices for other HPBT match bullets, I am going to buy the Hornady 52gr HPBT match bullets for our brown furry friends and crows.
Midsouth Shooters has the Hornadys for $13 and change!!!
And also on the Hornady site, they claim not to use the match bullets for "medium or large game".
I reckon that don't include chucks or crows.
Now thats a really low price!

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornIve had fantastic repeatability with the 50 gr. and the 69gr. comp bullets. never got any 52s. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I never got those Bullets you sent me tested yet either!! (Varmint Grenades) SORRY!! Actually I did try loading some of them one night and crushed a couple cases and haven't fooled with them since! I'll get around to it!! You sent them, I told I would do it and I will!! Sorry!
I loaded some of the 52 grain Noslers tonight for the 22-250(it's new and just over barrel break-in). It seems to prefer Sirra 55 BlitzKings over 55 Hornady VMaxs in the initial testing. Loaded all three bullets tonight with IMR 8208 so it will be a new test of powder for me also. The 8208 generates pressure vs. old standbys!!! That's evident in the data. We'll test performance. Charlie (GHD)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Hornady Cus. comp.52 gr but a world of Sierra MK's in 52 &53 gr. DRT ,bang flop on varmints from crow to coyote with everything in between, bobcat etc. Ill bet Hornadys bullet is just as deadly ,accurate
If you ever need help up there with the ground hogs on that grazing dairy, I will be happy to lend a hand!!!!! I have some friends g hog hunting in Ohio this week and next beer , it seems the coyotes have reduced the population somewhat in the last 2 years where they hunt.

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
Anybody here tried the Noler 52 grain HPBT Custom Competition bullets on vermin? Just courius as to "end result" and varmint performance. In the 222Mag the accuracy on paper is great. Will test in a 22-250 soon on paper but questioning whether they perform acceptably on actual live targets. Charlie (GHD)

I've used the 6.5mm/.264cal Custom Comp-BTHP's in 140GR and I love them! Grouping is dime sized at 100yds from a custom Swedish Mauser 6.5X55.

But Have yet to call in the 'yote!

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, Killed THOUSANDS of prarrie dogs with Nosler and Sierra 52 grain match bullets. With a good hit they will launch 2-4 feet in the air and give you 2-3 full flips. Coyote, Fox, DRT, just hope you don't want the pelt.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote