THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Wich caliber for animals up 6 pounds?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wich caliber for animals up 6 pounds?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im wondering what caliber should I get for varmints up to 6 pounds?

What I wants is something to really tear them up, out to 500 yards. Most are inside 300 yards, but still.

20 Tactical
223, 22-250
6br, 243

Is a 40 grain bullet to small to be as spectacular as a 50-60 grain bullet from the bigger calibers??

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how much a prairie dog weighs but I do know what kind of damage a 22-250 with 55gr Ballistic tips will do to them. It would turn them inside out at 300 to 500 yards. I would recommend a 22-250, 220 Swift, 243 Win, or 6mm Rem.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
243 - too big for 6 pounders
223 - great cause it is cheap
6br - probably the most accurate of the bunch
22-250 - they call it the Varminter for a reason
20 Tactical - just like a laser

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
22-250 - they call it the Varminter for a reason

thumbroger thumb

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nortman: The answer to your specific question about the 40 gr. bullets is - yes!
Of the calibers you are interested in I would consider (under your criterion!) just the 22-250 and the 243 Winchester!
Best of luck with whichever you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my targest will be seagulls, and crows, so is a 40 grain bullet to small?

I was thinking of a 20 Tactical because of the cheap brass, low recoil and long barrel life.

Or a 223 AI..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy -- Regarding your response to the 40gr bullet choice, is that because of the longer distance? I've had 40gr V-Max bullets in my .223 vaporize things like lemons here in Arizona, but those were at 100yds or less.

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nortman:
Most of my targest will be seagulls, and crows, so is a 40 grain bullet to small?

You mean to tell me you folks can actually shoot seagulls over there? The filthy things are protected here! Norway may be a cold place but you are certainly civilized. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Since you are in Norway, and I suspect you have a different component situation than we do here in the states, I'd suggest the 20 Tactical. Also, the 32 gr Vmax bullets work really good on things up to Coyotes, so they'll have no problems with seagulls.

My second choice for what you describe would be either a 223 or 22-250, depending on local ammunition availability.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim: I have lived quite a bit north for two years now, moving a bit south this year.. but seagulls are ALL over the place, atleast where I lived. You kind of grow to despise the buggers after diving at your head, shitting all over the place, etc etc.. And ruining your sleep!

posted Hide Post
I used to shoot Prarie dogs with a .308 to practice for deer season we can shoot them year round here as long as they are out they stay underground a month or two during winter months
I would say they wiegh around eight to ten pounds and a 308 125 grn jhp turns them into mush. I have used .223 latley because my friends started thinking I was strange but I was blowing up PD's at six hundred yards and made one eight hundred yard shot. .223 hjas not got the range of the 308 at all.
The 40 grn JHPs turn crows into a puff of feathers though. and thats a fact I have only hit them at a hundred yards max though usually between 50 and 90. Them buggers are hard to sneak up on unless you have an owl hooter then they come a runnin

You cannot always live as you wish, but you must always live as you can

Posts: 14 | Location: SW Kansas 5 miles from the middle of nowhere | Registered: 11 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I would go for the 22-250. I used mine for a one shot kill on a whitetail deer at 360 yards so I think a sea gull at 500 yards would be doable.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AZ223: Yes the longer distance Nortman wants to "tear them up at" (500 yards) is not where the 40 gr bullets do their best work from a 223 - so to speak!
Pardon my slow reply I have been away to the coast and doing some Moose scouting and "late season" Ground Squirrel Hunting here in SW Montana.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am impressed how the .223 kills varmints way out there.

The 22-250 is like being a little closer.

50 gr. Vmax: 22-250, 39.5 gr. 748,........ 4,186 fps
50 gr. Vmax .223, 23.7 gr. 5744, ............3,861 fps
-----------------------------------------
difference from Quicktarget = 61 yards

40 gr. Vmax 22-250, 38.5 gr. H322,......... 4,513 fps
40 gr. Vmax .223, 25.9 gr. W296,.............4,268 fps
-----------------------------------------
difference from Quicktarget = 35 yards

33 gr. Vmax 22-250 39.6 gr. H322,.......... 4,848 fps
33 gr. Vmax .223, 27.8 gr. W296, ............4,623 fps
-------------------------------------
difference ~ ~ 25 yards

What does it all mean?
My 22-250 stays in the safe and my .223 gets to ride in the car.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about the 204 ruger?

Very very accurate, flat shooting as well.

My friend and I both have one -- his is a Savage, mine is a Rem 700. Both are fine "Crow" guns that can easily pick them off at 300+m. I would imagine that a Seagull would be easier -- as it is bigger.

With the 204 -- it just blows them up -- a flush of black feathers in the wind, even out to the longer ranges.

Best regards

John