THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Any Lefties Out There? (Redial?)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Lefties Out There? (Redial?)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday (September 28th 2,004) I was doing some gunstore shopping in Missoula, Montana. I saw on the used Rifle rack a nifty left handed Remington 700 Varmint Special. Like I say it was used but in great condition. The asking price was $399.00! If it had been right handed it of course would have come home with me!
This Rifle is in caliber 22-250 Remington and is the 26" heavy barreled model in the black fiberglass stock (700 VS?).
I went directly to the pay phone and called my two left handed friends in Washington state but neither was home.
There was a distinct and unusual but somewhat minor flaw in the actions finish as it had the bluing (parkerizing?) mostly removed from the two bridges of the action in the area of the scope base mounting screws? I don't know how or why this occurred.
I did not have my Siebert bore inspection tool along with me and did not inspect the bore. The folks at Sportsmans Surplus are very upfront and usually trustworthy types. This is a high volume (large) store and I just think it would be a nifty rig for a lefty to have or to build a custom calibered Varminter (22-250 A.I.?) on.
I will post the phone number if anyone is interested. Or E-mail me.
The store is 185 miles each way from my house so I can't readily get back to it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
WOW! That is a good price!

VG, you're a considerate fellow looking out for me like that and it's much appreciated. Fact is, I bought a lefty VS in 22-250 about 5 or 6 years ago! I did the Earl Scheib at-home camo job and used it until someone saw it and offered me more'n I thought it was worth. Musta been the paintjob, huh?

Next time you're passing through Enlightened Idiotville, get ahold of me and I'll buy the first round. I owe you at least that!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy
Can I give you a little known secret? A friend of mine is righthanded and will only buy lefty rifles. Me, I'm a southpaw and only shoot righty's. If you shoot a left handed bolt action and are righthanded FROM A BIPOD you will get a faster bolt cycle without having to remove your trigger finger(I now this sounds nuts but hear me out). O.k. with your left hand you cycle and leave your right hand in the "fire" position. This allows you to track a missed or new target in the scoupe while your left hand is reloading. All the while the weight of the rig is on the bipod.
If you have any lefty friends that shoot lefty rigs give this a try. THIS IS NOT FOR BIG GAME HUNTING ,only varmit use. My righthanded shotting buddy now has two lefthanded Rem. 700's. This doesn't work for everybody, but if it works for you, you can still take that one home.

Posts: 255 | Location: Left coast, Right mind! | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote