THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    .22cal 35gn V-Max @ 4000 - 4500fps

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22cal 35gn V-Max @ 4000 - 4500fps
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have just discovered that the laws here will allow me to re-barrel my 6PPC to a 22PPC(it's a long story, but basically you cannot rechamber a rifle into something it is not already availiable in and listed on the "national Catalog")

The idea would be to come up with a rifle that will shoot these bullets very accuratly for use on coyotes and varmints when I'm overseas.

A Shilen barrel with a twist rate of 1:15 or 1:16 should be the right choice but first I wanted to get some info about the effectiveness of such light bullets on coyotes, maybe wolves and other varmints.

I found data saying that 31.5gn of VV N130 will push a 35gn Berger to 4628 fps. This sounds a little hot to me. Sounds almost dangerous.

At any rate it is still a good deal faster than the .17rem and the like and from I could find has no trouble getting past 4000fps.

Will these bullets perform at these speeds on animals or will I more likely get an explosion on impact and no penetration?

If it will not kill effectivly I may as well stay with the 6PPC and shoot 55gn bullets but it seems to be very hard on furs.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I got a response on another forum which was pretty much what I expected...4000 - 4500fps is a bit too fast...

I would like to rephrase slightly: What would the optimum velocity be to drive these bullets at?

I'll bring the 40gn V-max into it too. I think that it would be a great coyote round pushed to around 3900fps.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that would be entirely within your reach with the right powders.
I shoot 40 Grain ballistic tips in my 22-250 and get right at 4200 with them. Great accuracy, but very messy on game. Coyote hides would probably get torn up pretty well, but you won't have any problem putting them down with the BT's or V-Maxes.
The guys I've talked to have had problems with accuracy with the 35's as I have. My 22-250 just doesn't want to shoot them for some reason. Guess I'll have to give them a try in my .223 AI and see if that is the ticket.

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express:

I would not mess with a nice caliber like a 6 PPC.

A 35 grain V max is a very short bullet and almost looks too fat for it short shape. It does not look very aerodynamic nor does it prove to be downrange. It is not flat shooting as the the velocity might seem.

I have loaded the 35 grain VMax to 4800 fps in a 22/250. Problem was that it was not very flat shooting and lost a lot of its velocity real fast.

If you want fast and flat, try RL 7 in that PPC case, with the lighter bullets. In 22 caliber, in a 22/250, I use 34.5 grains of RL 7 with a 40 grain Ballistic tip or Sierra's 40 grain HP, or Blitzking( 40 grain). Velocity is 4450. I have pushed it to 4750, but it was not worth it. ( 36.5 grains of RL 7).

This load's trajectory is as follows:
300 yds, or meters.... 3.25 inches high at 100yds.
500 yds, or meters..... 5.5 inches high at 100 yds.

IN a 243, with a 60 grain Sierra HP or a 55 Grain Ballistic tip, 50 grains of H 380 gives a MV of 4,050 fps out of a 22 inch barrel. However with the aerodynamics of the bullet it is a 300 yd load at best. A 70 or 75 grain bullet at 3600 fps is a better long range load.

I like the Hornady 75 grain HP a lot for performance on game, flat shooting, accurate and inexpensive ( as I load a lot of them) It is one of the few bullets smaller than 85 grains in 6mm that will reliably take small deer like the Black tail in my experience.

I wouldn't mess with the PPC!
Get something else if you think you need it.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Your 6mmPPC is as close to a perfect coyote cartridge as you could possibly find. I suggest that you just find the Hornady V-Max bullet that shoots best in your rifle that is between 65gr and 87gr and use that.

But... If you just want to rebarrel, rechamber, or get another rifle I'm all for it...

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 gr. V-maxs have the B C of a mattress. Forget the top speed. 40 vmax at 4000 or a 50 at 3900 is far superior in terminal effect at any kind of distance.
Never shot a 22 PPC but my 22-250 with a 1-14 twist shoots 50 vmaxs deadly.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
I load the 35gr v-max in my 22K-Hornet (13.2gr Lil' Gun) to 2850fps and the accuracy is an unbelievable small ragged hole at 100yds. This load is marginal in my opinion for coyote, but any animal smaller is toast. For varmiting the larger animals, I really like the 55gr v-max and Nosler balistic tip in 22-250. I never have liked pushing a cartride to its outer limits. That's the basis for buying a new and more powerful firearm. By the way, the 22 k-hornet is a CZ 527 hornet reamed to k-hornet and my 22-250 is a 26" bull barrel for my T/C Encore.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote