Find
Notify
Tools

22/250 for Varmints
 Login/Join

posted
Shooters

I own a 30/30 and a 7x57 Mauser

I want (do not need) a 22/250 for Coyotes, foxes, cans, paper ect...

Anyway Is this good for Varmints, hurt hide, big holes ect.

I guess that it depends on which load/bullet weight.

Just wondering what some opinions are out there,

Also if there is another caliber that would be better I am all ears.

Thanks

Clint

Posts: 23 | Location: N. AZ | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally do not think it gets any better than the .22-250Rem. It can be a lot of different things depending on how and with what you load it. Certainly it's an accurate caliber, deadly on coyote and smaller game. Some people use it successfully for smaller deer although it's not usually recommended. It's one of the best calibers to reload, amenable to many diferent combinations. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have popped a number yotes with my 22-250. I think it is an excellent varmit round. I normally shoot 55g Blitz'. They rarely exit and don't do too much hide damage when they do. Another good bullet is the 50g V-MAX. Again, very deadly on coyotes.
No one ever 'needs' more rifles, but then again one can never have too many [Razz] [Razz] !!!
If you do decide to pick one up, I think you'll be very happy with it.

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 22-250 that I bought for varmint hunting. Although I haven't shot a varmint yet, they are a highly accurate, low recoil, fun rifle to shoot.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Now to convince the wife I NEED one I will be all set.

I was wondering what is the range for it?

I was looking to go not more than 600 yards.

Thanks

Clint

Posts: 23 | Location: N. AZ | Registered: 26 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
To my mind, the 22-250 is the quintessential varmint round; it's better than the 223 beyond 300 yards and will do anything that the 220 Swift will do. The only advantage the 223 has is that it burns less poweder, therefore the barrel doesn't heat up nearly as fast when firing repeatedly. I have a nice little Sako Hunter in 22-250 that works well as a walk-around varminter.
Infact, I smoked a running jack rabbit at 50 yds night before last.

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Sibley:
I personally do not think it gets any better than the .22-250Rem. It can be a lot of different things depending on how and with what you load it. Certainly it's an accurate caliber, deadly on coyote and smaller game. Some people use it successfully for smaller deer although it's not usually recommended. It's one of the best calibers to reload, amenable to many diferent combinations. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Yup, I agree. The one I shoot now is my fourth since 1971. Great user friendly varmint round. Easy to reload for and many of the factory loads are excellent. The way my rifle shoots Fed.Prem 55 BTHP,s, I don't feel handicapped using factory ammo. I like the 55 and 60 grain bullets.

It also works well on our deer out to about 275, if you are in the open (no twigs) and have a broadside shot. Beyond about 275 it usually won't expand well and/or transfer the small amount of remaining energy. At any range, placement is critical. We shoot quite a few antlerless deer under crop-damage permits in late summer, while they stand around in corn or bean fields. When actually "deer hunting", I use a real deer rifle.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I concour! In my expirence I almost have to try to find an in-accurate load for the 22-250, they are really just not as accurate as the load I tried beforebut still would be awesome for any other rifle.

Andrew

Posts: 49 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote