THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Blue Dot Range Report: 7 x 57 & 120 gr Nosler BT

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot Range Report: 7 x 57 & 120 gr Nosler BT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Blue Dot Range Report: 7 x 57

Bullet: 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip, Sectional Density: .213

Primer: Winchester Large Pistol

Case: Remington, 7 x 57, second time used.

OAL: 79.30 mm

Results:

16 grs: 1884 fps

17 grs: 2029 fps

18 grs: NO Reading, sorry

19 grs: 2187 fps

20 grs: 2275 fps

21 grs: 2327 fps

22 grs: 2406 fps

23 grs: 2466 fps

24 grs: 2529 fps

Notes:

1. 16 grain load was like the recoil of my 223 with Blue Dot loads. According to the Nosler reload manual�s trajectory chart, this would make a decent 150 yd deer load.

2. With the 20 grain load, you get into a 200 yd load for deer. 3.5 inches high at 100 yds will be dead on at 200 yds.

3. The 22 thru 24 grain loads, are definitely good deer medicine. 3.5 inches high at 100 yds, should make it a decent 250 yd load.

4. Nosler Ballistic Tip. I just like this bullet for this type of application, as it does a good job opening up and penetrating at the lower velocities.

5. All cases extracted easily, and overall, had no powder residue around the necks at all, like with some the 100 grain Sierra Hollow Point loads. ( except was the 16 grain load).

I really liked this bullet and caliber combo for deer. I wouldn�t hesitate to use it on some of the bigger Upper Midwest Whitetails I use to hunt in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Cheers and Good shooting

seafire

Sorry guys, wrong forum, must be on cruise control tonite

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Well, now that you started it here, what firearm are you using?

Any particular reason for using a WLP (Large PISTOL?) primer?

I'll be loading for the M1895 Chilean.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah C1:

I used a Ruger 77 Mk 2, that is military throated, or if it isn't it is awfully long.

It has surprised me and makes no sense, but it seems large pistol primers, while having a cooler spark than a large rifle, seems to build up pressure quicker.

So I use it to error on the side of safety for others who might follow the upper limits of these loads, and forgetting the theme is to down load the round, not try to get the max velocity out of the cartridge when utilizing this powder.

Once you hit 21 or 22 grains in an older Mauser work up slowly.

accuracy was sweet in mine.

cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I made a note to myself about 22 grains and up. May never get there. Really just looking for something for 100 yd or so (although I have been known to shoot at the rock on the hillside across the canyon) .

Do you shoot much cast in that? I've got 2 M1895's, rifle and carbine.

I'm thinking of putting a scout mount on one, probably the carbine, and shooting only cast from it. Use jacketed in the longer rifle.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote