Find
Notify
Tools

Reloader 10!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Reloader 10:

I have been known to state that I think it is much harder to find a bad powder that doesn’t work well in a 223 case, then it is to find one that works well……

Just about any powder seems to turn in pretty darn fair accuracy out of a 223, especially a Bolt Action one, as long as the barrel is anywhere near having some throat left to it….

Sure we all find some powders that rise even head and shoulders above all the fine powders for a 223: Some of my favorite have become Varget, H 335, H 380 & Benchmark from Hodgdon, RL 7 from Alliant, and about all of the Mid to Fast Powders from IMR work well… from SR 4759, to 4198, 3031, 4895, 4320… and even 4064, although the grains are a little larger for getting down that narrow 22 caliber neck….

Therefore I seldom even bother trying out any new powders when I see them advertised….

ON a fluke really, I picked up a Container of Reloader 10….I only took it as it was the last one on the shelf, and the dealer said it had been moving very slow…. Guess a lot of guys also don’t care to try out something new or different… when there are so many powders available that already work…..

Load data is also not very available for Reloader 10… I was able to locate some minimal information upon Alliant’s web site……

However, to my fellow varmint and target shooters…. It is definitely worth your time and effort to try a Container of Reloader 10….. It has turned in one hole groups from a variety of 223s that I own… It has even cleaned up one that has a barrel that is close to being a candidate for a new barrel… having somewhere between 8 to 9,000 rounds down the barrel… on a Sporter weight Ruger 77 Mk 2…..

Not only is it accurate, but it has also turned in some pretty impressive velocities! Like 3700 fps with a 40 grain Bullet out of a 24 inch barrel….

I have almost gone thru my first pound of it, but I am not looking to go over and buy another pound of it, where I got this one at….. I am looking to stop in a pick up a 5lb container or two the next business trip up toward Portland Oregon….

A little work with the 22.250 has also shown quite a bit of promise!

So for all of you varmint shooter and target shooters, I highly recommend giving it a try! Like myself, I am sure you will be impressed with the results your time will give you….
Putting some magic back into that 22 caliber barrel!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire/B17G

Have you tried any of that Benchmark in your 22-250? I was pretty impressed with it and 50 Gr. V-Max's.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the case density on the loads you are shooting? At least 1/2 or 2/3rds. full? Jeff

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am also curious about R-10x for the 22-250.
My Alliant data booklet says for light bullet weights in .222,.223,& 22-250.
Let us know your 22-250 results & load density.

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
I have been using 52gr bullets behind RL-10x for about 6 months now in my 22-250. Infact this past weekend my girlfriend put a nickle sized 5 shot group at 220 yards.

I had 3 touching at 220 yards!

My load was:

52gr Sierra SMK
33gr RL-10x
Federal 210M Primer
Norma Brass
2.40 OAL

It was shot out of a CZ 550 Varmint chambered in 22-250.

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire/B17G: Thank you for the information on the Reloader 10!
I have just reviewed my loadin log - checking all the powders I have used in all of the 223's I have ever owned and I see I have never tried this powder!
Its on my list now.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
seafire/B17G

Have you tried any of that Benchmark in your 22-250? I was pretty impressed with it and 50 Gr. V-Max's.

Jay,

Yes, I have tried Benchmark in the 22.250... actually more than 4 years ago... 35 grains and a 50 grain bullet are one hole shooters in several of my 22.250s....

However, comparing it just Today.. against Re 10, .... Reloader 10 turned in the tighter groups with several different bullet weights in 2 different rifles.... one with a factory 1 in 14 twist.... and one with a 1 in 8 twist....
Both rifles were Ruger 77 Mk2,....

Varmint Guy....

I think you will like the results and although load data is kinda scarce.. so I am slowly working up my own... So far I have been using Reloader 7 data out of Lyman's Number 47 manual... RL 7 is a faster powder.. so I don't feel unsafe using its data for Reloader 10 loads...

Haven't seen you around for a while... good to see ya back!

Did you ever contact or meet Lone Bull ( L. Corson) from up toward Helena? I haven't heard from him, and wondering how he is getting along....

cheers
seafire
cheers

cheers
seafire..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire/B17G

Do you have any chronograph data to go along with any of your laods?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire/B17G,-
Also how well does it fill up the case?
Thanks.....

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

It fills the case about as much as Reloader 7 or ImR 4198 does... the factory isn't recommending higher than 26.5 grains with the light 40 grain projectiles....If you are a fan of a full case.. I don't care one way or another....

Jay:

I have some chronographed data, I will try and locate it and post it tomorrow.. re arranging my garage and home office right now.. can't find squat! will post it in a day or two....

Velocity was pretty good, accuracy was stellar!

cheers
seafire
cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire/B17G: I was just out on the coast doing some body guard work and the coastal Gunshows and gunshops - away from my computer in other words for a few weeks.
I did get 90 hours of really "easy money" type work on this last trip!
So anyway I have some "mad money" due here in a coupla days!
I need a Foxpro electronic caller and thats about all I can think of that is really pressing here in Varmint Heaven! My trusty old cassette model Johnny Stewart E-caller gave up the ghost after 20 some years of faithful duty (three rechargeable batteries I used up in it!).
Again I appreciate the load info and your observations thereon.
Test carefully out there in rain land!
I swap E-mails with Lonebull fairly often but have not run across him in person as yet!
I even spoke with him on the phone a couple of times.
He recommended a nifty restaurant just off of I-90 that I ate at and enjoyed very much! I even left off some loading components or something for him to pick up there at that restaurant a while back.
He gets in there often.
Stay dry out there.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire,-
WTH, I only asked a simple question!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuckslayer, Waffen and I have been shooting 10x in our 22-250's for a while and it's the best performing powder we've used. I've got lots of data, or what we've tried rather, too much to post. If you can give me a specific bullet weight you're lookign for I can scan back through my records. However, as Waffen mentioned above the best we've gotten was with the 52 gr. Matchkings. 33 gr. of 10x pushes the 52 grainers at 3800 fps.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
seafire,-
WTH, I only asked a simple question!

Chuck:

I was not offended by your question.. if that is what the above quote meant...

or else did I miss understand your question...

I know a lot of guys that have this idea that if the case is not 95% full, then they dont trust the load.... that is what I was interpreting the question as...not sure of your point of reference...

My apologies if my answer struck a wrong cord....

cheers
seafire
cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire,- No apologies necessary.....I should have explained myself better.
I have never seen RL-10X before, so are the kernels bigger than any of the IMR powders?
I am going to be using Sierra 52gr match kings for new loads when my 22-250 gets back from Harts.
Currently I am using 35 gr of IMR 4320 w/50gr B tips. This fills the case about 80-84%, which is O.K. by me.
So max load for a 50 gr bullet in Alliant data is 32.5 of RL10.
So.... My question is appox. % of case fill is the RL-10 load? Thanks!

Kingfisher, you can chime in here also! Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuckslayer, I guess I should have mentioned that the 33 gr. load was pretty well maxed out as far as the books go but there were no pressure signs to speak of. It didn't really shoot any better than the 32 gr. loads so I'm going to go back to those. The 33 gr. loads were really just for testing purposes. 10x has small kernels and meters perfectly, kind of like Benchmark if you've ever used it. A 32 gr. load is bound to be at least at 80% of the case capacity if not more. In short, as far as load density is concerned you have nothing to worry about.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

if you are using 4320, I'd compare grain sizes to be almost a duplicate in size to the 4320 grains...
Reloader 10 is very user friendly for 22 caliber necks......It should meter well if you charge your cases by that method...I don't...

I use the old Lee Powder dipper, pour the powder into an 8 ounce yogurt cup, which I have millions of, as my wife and son love yogurt....and an old 505 RCBS scale... ( I am in the stoneage when it comes to powder measuring!)....

If you try some RL 10 I think you will like it, both at the load bench, and at the range....

Cheers
seafire
cheers

posted Hide Post
I used to shoot 10X in my Howa 223 (but had to sell it) this powder performs very very well in my 204 vssf II.

Posts: 15 | Location: northeast Missouri | Registered: 09 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Coolreloader 10 is a great powder with light bullet;s in .223 and 40 vmax-bt-bk or 22-250ai with 40vmax-bt-bk this load shot;s .300at 100 yds at4000fps. the .223 will shot.500group at 100yds.this is also one of my favorite powders in 20-tac and the 204r just a great powder ..