New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found some good varminting!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Where I line there is really not much in the way of varminting.
Until now. We are now allowed to cull nutria, an acquatic rodent like a beaver with a rats' tail.

Aside from that I have found some very good crow shooting areas, over sewn fields.
The birds are very, very hard to convince. If you get out, or stop you car 300m from them they fly off. Forget about letting them see you walking around.

Makes for some challenging stalk and snipe... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
express...sounds like your 6 ppc is about to get a workout. good luck...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those nutria are big-ass rats! I understand that they occasionally get up to near 100 lbs.

Got any good recipes for 'em?

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NotRicochet you might be thinking of capibera from South America.

But you're not wrong! Nutira are big, ugly rats.
I had a group to cull out a few years ago on my place, they can get to about 25lb.

Unfortunatly our culling efforts were so effective that no more nutria were seen for two years.

Now I have another place to shoot while I let my population recover. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right, I'm mixing them up. But 25 pounds is still a big-ass rat!

I understand they were brought to the Southern states during the Depression in hopes of starting a trapping and fur trading industry.

Probably taste like chicken.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of big-ass rats, did anyone see the reports last week about a fossil rodent from South America that was the size of a buffalo?
[Eek!]

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Nope... taste like big-ass rats; that's why there are so many of them.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'm not really into eating water-rabbits either, but I do know the pelts are extraordinary! Keep the lady in your life in mind. It's amazing what a fur stole will do for piece in the family... FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the varminting wasn't so good after all...
The bloody crows moved their "comfort zone" to over 300meters after the first 2.

Lots of driveing around and makeshift shots at supid ranges...

I will have to get out there eary, lie down and just wait for them for this to work properly.

I am yet to go after the nutria, but they should proove to be a little less frustrating.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
express, sounds like you need to learn about crow calling, to me.

We are only allowed to use a shotgun, here, so calling is the only way. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote