New
Find
Notify
Tools

buckshot/ slug gun for yotes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am relatively new to shotguns and I just bought a new 870 Express mag. I intend to use it for close-cover coyote hunting with #4 buck and would like to be able to shoot a nice light 2-3/4" slug for longer shots without having to change barrels or choke tubes. Is there any combination that would allow me to take a coyote sized target with a 3" buckshot out to 40-50 yds and hit one with a slug that might hang up at 100-125 yds? What kind of group (without rifling) should I expect from a shotgun? About how much drop is there at 100 yds with a 1 oz. slug traveling at an advertized 1600 fps from a 26" bbl? Thanks for any suggestions.

Dog-duster

Posts: 61 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the ballistics of different slugs but if you plan on hitting a coyote with a slug gun, you will need decent sights. The bead deal is too wishy washy for coyotes if you ask me.You can shoot them from your IMP cyl. bbl but I wouldn't expect much. As stated,you need a good sighting system and or a good slug bbl. If your field bbl has sights, go for it,but a bead will never cut it unless you try it on paper and it happens to impact where you consistantly hold. It can be done though as alot of old timers can shoot beaded bbls with slugs to their max range pretty good,but a winchester black shadow($229) from wally world will consistantly group at 100 with ease. As far as buck shot,the #4 copper plated is favored arround these parts.Any large shot will blow them to kingdom come at the right range. Good luck and use the buckshot and call 'em in to ya! Loads of fun that way, jerryboy

[ 07-27-2003, 02:11: Message edited by: jerryboy ]

Posts: 8 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dog duster,

Most rifled slugs fly best out of open chocked shotgun barrels.
Seeing as how you will also be using #4 buck, I assume you will have a full chock in your 870.
You could try a couple different kind of slugs and see how well they shoot out of tighter chocks. Or you could pattern the buck shot with the open chock and see what your maximum effective range is, then use the slugs from there on out.
Good luck!!!
Ford

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 4 buck will kill coyotes farther than you're likely to hit them with a slug. With a good tight shooting gun they'll kill to about 60 yards. I suppose the slug will work at 100 yards, but they likely won't shoot well out of a full choked gun that shoots buckshot well. When calling, we like to take a friend, one with shotgun and buck one with a rifle. If one breaks out close and running, use the shotgun, if they stall at 200 yards, the rifle gets him. When I was younger we killed 100-150 coyotes a year mostly ahead of hounds and I've seen some shot with buckshot at 75-100 yards, but it's not recommended.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
Well here is my 2 cents worth on the buckshot -vs- slugs. Here in Ohio we have to hunt deer with slugs and in the last few years you will see a lot of the newer bolt action shotguns, with rifled barrels.I have a marlin that will shoot the winchester 385 grain barnes sabot and hit bowling pins at 200 yards.It has a 1.5 to 4 power scope and is very accurate and deadly.Four nice big bodied deer with four shots.They make rifled barrels for most all of the popular shotguns,buy one and give these sabots a try.The only downside is the cost of them,$12.00 for five shells.But worth every penny IMHO
muskrat
live free or die!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote