New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simmons 44 Mag 6x20x44
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was thinking about putting one of these on my 22-250 Savage 12BVSS. If anybody has any experience with this scope, good or bad I would like to hear about it. Also for a scope of this magnification would you suggest a Mil Dot or Fine Duplex ? Gun will be mostly used for P Dogs.

Was also thinking about the Elite 4200 in 6x24x40 with a Mil Dot.

Posts: 44 | Location: Canada | Registered: 19 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The B& L Elite is definitely a much better scope. Mildots are even better, but it amazes me on how few people seem to understand how they work to take full advantage of them.

I do have one of the Simmons 6.5 x 20 on one of my varmint rifles. It only came with the Duplex reticle. However it is still fine for the job it is being used for. The turrent knobs are clean and precise. It is definitely a good value for the money. The 44 mm objective is clear and well balanced. I prefer 44 mm objectives to the 40 or 50. 40 not enough, 50 too big in size ( love the sight picture tho).

Good luck with either route.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't say I have owned a Simmons scope, but there is a reason for that. I have heard of too many people having problems with them. Not all of them are bad and I'm sure many have had good experiences with them, but it seems to me like a crap shoot when you buy one. Not worth the trouble in my mind. If you reload, finding accurate loads is enough work in itself without having a scope that moves around on you. If you are looking for an inexpensive, quality scope, go with Seafire's recommendation. You'll then have the piece of mind knowing that you are getting all the accuracy you can out of that fine shooting Savage. I personally prefer Leupold, but I'm not sure what your budget is.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad got one of these scopes and after seeing it, I bought one also. Both of us like the scope. Mine is on .308 and dad's was on .233. Thinking about getting another. I believe its a good scope at a good price.

Dad purchased after seeing a friend's 44 mag who's father in law also had one. Thats four around here and all are pleased.

Did have a problem with a bad simmons scope a few years ago, but it was one of the cheap 3x9x40 purchased for a .22.

[ 07-25-2003, 18:10: Message edited by: redsplatter ]

Posts: 176 | Location: the rock | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shaka,Remember>>You get what you pay for.I have Bushnell Elite 6x24x40 on all three of my varmint rifles.They are the best bargain out there.To me its like apples and oranges.Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 112 | Location: Salisbury Mills,NY,USA | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaka:
Was thinking about putting one of these on my 22-250 Savage 12BVSS. If anybody has any experience with this scope, good or bad I would like to hear about it. Also for a scope of this magnification would you suggest a Mil Dot or Fine Duplex ? Gun will be mostly used for P Dogs.

Was also thinking about the Elite 4200 in 6x24x40 with a Mil Dot.

Hello Shaka,

FWIW I recogmend it.

I have a Simmons 44mag on my 112BV (in 22-250), and have used this since 95. I have experienced ZERO problems with it.

Also the Aetec is another good Simmons Scope to consider, I have had one on my 6mm since 98'

All The Best
Steel [Cool]

Posts: 19 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of them that I keep around to do load development on other peoples rifles. It has worked fine for several years. The duplex reticle is sort of heavy but useable. They have about 50 MOA of adjustment in them which makes them useable at longer ranges when put in Burris Signature rings with .020" inserts in it. Like Seafire I do like the 44 mm objective lense. Seems like the perfect diameter for an objective to me. For the money they are a fair buy.

Seafire is 100% correct, the B&L Elite is much better glass, but the B&L Elite that I have does not have the range of adjustment that the Simmons has. If shooting long is not in your plans and you can afford a B&L Elite it does have better optics.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally like the Simmons, but I feel a lot depends on what you're mounting it on. For range use on a fairly light recoiling rifle it is more than adequate. However, I wouldn't want to subject it to the recoil of my 7mm Rem. Mag. I don't think these less expensive scopes hold up to well under a heavy pounding. It's merely my own opinion. Best wishes.

Cal 0- Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
one of those scopes rests atop my .243 super rock chucker......and it's doing very fine. I like it!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on .223 mod 700. Its fine. The eye relief is short, but fine on the lighter calibers

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an Aetec on my 7mm Rem Mag - no problems. Had a 44Mag on it, but the eye relief is not as good as the Aetec, so I swapped them. I have 3 Simmons scopes - 1 44 Mag and 2 Aetecs, and never a problem with any of them. They are not as nice as the Elites or Sightron or Burris or . . ., but for the price, I don't feel that they can be beat.

Posts: 178 | Location: Pearland, TX | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with SalG. I recently purchased a Bushnell Elite 4200 in 6x24 to mount on my Remington VLS in 6mm Rem. I haven't been too happy with what has been coming from Bushnell lately so I was more than pleased with this one. The optics are excellent. It's the best clarity I've seen in quite some time. I think I'll buy another and hold it for mynext varmint rig. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have one on my savage 22-250 i love it I also have one of simmons 3x9 wally world specials on my 45-70 handi rifle [when I bought it it was all i could afford] the thing has had 300++++ 2000fps 300 grain hollowpoints though it and still shoots 1-1 1/4 groups 2 1/2 high just like it was sighted in at 12 years ago deadliest gun i ever pulled the trigger on if you do your part the deer will be laying where he was standing when you pulled the trigger