New
Find
Notify
Tools

Groundhogs out?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I dropped my daughter off at the sitter's this morning and noticed a groundhog out in a field. I've killed several groundhogs in the past on the farm. I was able to get within about 60 yards and made a very lucky shot with my G23. (It did manage to crawl back into its hole, but judging by the way it was moving and the amount of blood, it won't be tearing up the garden anymore.)

Are the groundhogs out yet or was this one an aberration?

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barutmt,

I could be wrong, but I don't think ground hogs are true hibernators like bears are. You can find them out at some "weird" times of the year (or not when you would expect to see them). I killed my last ground hog when I was squirrel hunting in late Oct./early Nov., didn't think they would be out then, either. Most of them are not out now, but you will see an occasional hog out, just not enough to go out hunting them IMHO.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Barut, Yes the groundhogs are starting to venture forth now. It's their "rut" time of year. Old males roaming the fields looking for love! Now you probably effectively eliminated 5 or 6 potential targets for this years varminting season by shooting a groundhog in February!!! Not enough activity to really hunt this time of year and the effect on populations by shooting early is tremendous! Give em time to re-seed!!! Make Memorial Day a great "Opening Day" and conserve some targets for future years! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday my car pool partner and I were headed home from work and we saw a big ol' red and grizzly chuck. I've seen plenty out in March, like you said, in their rut, but yesterday it was only about 12 deg F. here in Central Pa. I couldn't believe it. Made me go home and count my .204 ammo.

Life's too short to carry a gun that you hate!

Posts: 46 | Location: In Pennsylvania, wishing for more Silhouette Matches and friendly, woodchuck hating, Farmers in the geographic center of the state. | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a couple weeks back before our last snow I had 2 out in the yard out back. Thats kinda early here in N.E.Ohio.

I'm almost done with an AR in 204 for this years new addition to my critter getters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shooting them now is the equivalent of eating seed corn. i like to have a few left to shoot in the summer.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right now I have 3ft of snow I won't be seeing one for a while yet.I live east of lake ontario and get lots of lake effect snow,but when it does get warm it is good chuck hunting here I average 25 or more a day.

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are out here in NC. I shot 3 last weekend at one of my favorite spots.

We have had a bit of rain lately and they were in an area that is known for its red clay. The groundhogs were bright red and looked like fire plugs standing up in the kudzu vines.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with eliminating 5 or more potential targets with a pull of the trigger now. I've been asked to kill all the ground hogs that I see on the farm and I will continue to do so.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote