New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 K-Hornet benifits
 Login/Join

<squirrel skinner>
posted
What are the benifits to having a chamber reamed to a K-hornet?

[ 09-01-2003, 22:15: Message edited by: squirrel skinner ]

<Ben H>
posted
More velocity, an improvement (usually) in accuracy and longer case life. You won't regret it.

Good Shooting,
Ben H

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
So if I find someone to rechamber my 10" TC barrel I then need brass.

Can I take my existing Hornet brass. anneal it and fireform or will losses make it more effort than it is worth.

All I have read says fireforming is kinda hard on new brass, let alone brass that has been fired 2-3 times!

Will the improvement be worth it in the 10" barrel?

LouisB

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
All I ever do is fire factory .22 Hornet ammo in my "K" chamber. They come out perfectly formed and ready to reload. I'm not sure about the 10" Contender but I suppose the benefits would be the same. If you do a search for .22 "K" Hornet you will get alot of feedback. Jack Belk had an excellent post on the "K" some months ago.

Good Shooting,
Ben H

<TERMINATOR>
posted
Being a simple tool, and having studied the fireforming issue ad nauseum, I just load up normal hornet brass with normal loads and shoot Prarie Dogs with them. When they come out of the chamber, they are K Hornet brass. Works for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, just shoot standard Hornet ammo and you're in business. Benefits? Less case trimming, more powder capacity, headspace on the shoulder, probably a few others as well. In a 10" Contender? Probably not much benefit there at all. In a rifle, the difference can be startling. I have bypassed my need/want/desire for .223 class cartridges with the K-Hornet.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The K Hornet is a GREAT upgrade to the standard Hornet. Very few cartridge conversions give you as much in return for your investment as this one. It's one of the most loveable cartridges I ever messed with.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you actually (always) rechamber a Contender barrel in .22 Hornet to .22 K-Hornet?? I have been wondering about that for a while now.

I have heard that bolt guns normally have the barrel set back when rechambered, surely that would be almost impossible with a Contender barrel?? Futhermore, what if the original Hornet chamber was cut with a reamer larger than the K-Hornet reamer?? Inquiring mind would like to know...

Since I have been wondering about this for a while, maybe I should take this onto the Gunsmithing forum as well??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote