THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    6mm, Long Match bullets for prairie dogs?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm, Long Match bullets for prairie dogs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now that hunting season is all closed up and done, and winter is here to deal with....

Time to spend my spare time loading up for Ground Squirrel and Prairie Dogs this spring.

Anyone ever used the Sierra 107 grain Match or the 115 grain Berger on prairie dogs? I usually put together a long range load in a 22/250 that I use for the occasional, way out there shots.

Instead this coming year was thinking of doing that with the 6mm Remington instead. I have one custom barreled on a Long Action Model 700 with a 26 inch stainless barrel in heavy sporter with a one in 7 twist to it. ( PacNor barrel.)

Wondering if those long bullets would just pass thru them or explode them? Any input would be appreciated. Would probably load up a couple of hundred rounds, so do want to get out there and not get anything spectacular. What fun would that be????
[Razz] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess a pass thru. Not a lot of resistance for those bullets in those targets, but dead is dead. Have fun.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 105 A-Max's out of a 6mm Rem and am quite happy with the combination. The A-Max is a frangible bullet while the other two likely are not. Usually much cheaper too!

One of the varmint hunting sites did a test of exactly these bullets on prairie rats and concluded that the A-Max performed very well in that application. Regrettably, I'll be damned if I can remember which site it was.

Not quite two cents worth...,

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About six years ago, my god friend on Jones came up with the 6mm DJ BMF cartridge. It was a 7mm Mag,blown out, and 35* shoulder, necked down to 6mm. He had an 8 twist bbl, and was getting 105 Bergers up to 3600 fps but, the jackets would not take the velocity. He swithched to 107 Sierras and everything was fine until the first PD hunt. Those bullets went right through those dogs and skipped across the prairie.
DJ took out his pocket knife and "flared" the nose of a couple of those bullets and they blew up quite well on PDs. I tried this later on some 22 cal. Sierra 52gr. match bullets an they blew up as well as Blitz's.

<Armed in Utah>
posted
I use Sierra MKs in several p/dog rifles. 6.5 107s in a 6.5x308 AI..7mm 130s in a 7-08 and 180s in a 300 win mag. For this this type of targets, dead is dead. One thing to consider, unlike true varmint bullets which break up on impact, target bullets are known to 'skip'after impact, depending on angle. I shoot remote p'dog fields, but is still a consideration. I have used all three of these bullets with many known kills, at extreme ranges, I'm talkin' 800-1000+ yds. These type bullets are suited for extreme distance, because of high BCs, yes they work for me on p/dog size targets. My most impressive hit last summer, was at 858 yds with 300 win (Savage FP) the 180 gr MK completely removed the head of p/dog. Next in line was the 6.5 @ 1017 yds, p/dog. Same rifle, a triple, same mound, at 889 yds on p/dogs, 6.5 x 308 Ackley.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, like the other guys, I would have to guess that the terminal performance of the bullets in question would not be very dramatic.

While they would be a very good choice to hit a prairie dog at long range, they would probably just pass through with little or no expansion.

That is not to say that they are not just as good a choice as any other bullet in a 6mm for prairie dogs at extreme ranges. I have had trouble with true varmint bullets like the 80 grain Sierra Blitz and the 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip not expanding very much on prairie dogs out past 700 yards. (custom 6mm Remington 1 in 12 twist)

Just watch for what the bullets might hit in the background and try them. I loaded a bunch of 168 grain Matchkings for my 7-08 one year to try on prairie dogs but wound up not going that time.
Still think they would work at really long range.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote