THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    .257STW Vs Coyote Warning graphic pics

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257STW Vs Coyote Warning graphic pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been having some pretty good success with my .257 STW on coyotes. Most of the shots are the coyote running directly away down roads cut through the brush country of South Texas. I am using the Nosler 100 grain ballistic tip at a little over 4000 fps.

Here is a picture of coyote #1. Notice the twisted body.

Here is a picture of coyote #2. Notice the foot in mouth.

The coyotes in our area of the country are not worth saving the hides on so they do make good test material for bullet experimentation.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey that's really great.

Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it hammers em', that's for sure...

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 257STW, what powder and how much are you using?

Posts: 225 | Location: AZ | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uhhhhh......wow. Ummmmmm....I have this strange need to do that. Uhhhhh....pretty instant huh?

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
.257 STW looks like my kinda round. Tell me more about it. What brass is this formed from?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using RL25 along with a Federal 215 primer. I had some 8mm Mag brass so I used this for my first rounds. The second batch was made from Winchester 7mmSTW brass. Since this is a wildcat I will not say how much powder I am using as what is safe in my rifle may not be safe in yours. Here is some loading information. Start 10% below and work yourself up until you see signs of pressure. Please also be aware that you may need to turn the necks depending on your chamber dimensions.http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_all.asp?CaliberID=239

one of us
posted Hide Post
Way cool! Great shots of those coyotes.

We had one that looked much like the one with the foot in the mouth a while back.

We sat down to call and the sucker came in from the side in about 30 seconds! I had my rifle on shooting sticks and could not get on him. He saw us at about 10 feet and turned to run straight away. My dad nailed him at about 30 yards. We went over to him and he had his foot in his mouth just like the one you shot.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Don't leave the house under gunned is what I always say! gunsmile

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Before great rounds like the 257 STW came out I
had to content myself with using Hornady 125 grain
XTP hollow points shot very fast out of a 358 Norma
Magnum. I shot the south end of a north bound
coyote with it and was amazed at seeing a coyote
disembowled while running. Pink spray and flailing feet.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
I am using the Nosler 100 grain ballistic tip at a little over 4000 fps..

4000 fps with a 100 grain bullet seems a little optimistic even with such a large case, but I suppose it is possible. Is this a chronographed velocity?

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of coyotewallace
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,
yea I'd like to check that out myself...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a chronographed velocity?

Yes it is, I am not fast enough at this velocity to use my stopwatch and a calculator. This is the upper end for this catridge in my rifle although some people are getting 4100-4200fps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He is right on the money. I get 4000 fps with ramshot magnum and the 100 grain nosler bt out of my custom 257 stw. I can also get 4150fps with an 85 grain bt. Wicked round, i highly reccommend it.

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
quote:
Is this a chronographed velocity?

Yes it is, I am not fast enough at this velocity to use my stopwatch and a calculator. This is the upper end for this catridge in my rifle although some people are getting 4100-4200fps.

Good one...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I shot a female coyote this morning. It was a straight on shot; the bullet hit the left shoulder, broke the front left leg and exited the chest behind the shoulder. It flopped around for a few seconds after rolling down an incline. We found the dog dead with the paw of its injured leg in its mouth. Kimber 84M Varmint, 22-250 and 55 grain NBT.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Good job on thinning out some of the fawn-ravaging predators. But of course, it's CHEATING to use a round that shoots so FLAT!!! Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9355 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvyw8t:
He is right on the money. I get 4000 fps with ramshot magnum and the 100 grain nosler bt out of my custom 257 stw. I can also get 4150fps with an 85 grain bt. Wicked round, i highly reccommend it.

Hi hvw8t,
What length barrel have you got on your 257 STW?
What twist is your barrel?
What load are you using with 85gn bt to get 4150 fps? This one really appeals to me.
Regards
hjl

Posts: 47 | Location: Qld. Australia | Registered: 29 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I already have a 7mm stw and after doing some research I think I may have a 6.5mm STW made. I was looking into the .257 STW but the 6.5mm with a 120 gr will outperform the .257 100 gr. It has less drop and more power.

Drop at 500 yards
6.5= -14.65"
.257= -15.11â€
Energy at 500 yards
6.5= 2562 lbs
.257= 1932 lbs

This would be using Lost river ballistic bullets. I think if you’re going to build a custom gun this would be the best for a all around flat shooting gun. I am not trying to put the 257 STW down at all because it is a sweet round like most STW. Just giving some other ideas and my 2 cent.
Mark