New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who to believe ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here in the Catskill Mtns of NY we had a special coyote hunt this winter. It was stated that the average weight of coyotes has dropped because they have eaten so much of their prey....Now an article about the rapid rise in bobcat numbers because of the rise in prey especially rabbit and grouse ....Bobcats and coyotes eat the same type of food , so which story is correct ?? Confused

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Without seeing the speficis of what each study concluded, it's difficult to say.

But, to a degree, both could be correct. The diet of the coyote and bobcat overlap somewhat but are far from being identical.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post

This coyote's stomach contained small pieces of hide from a calf that died, feathers from what appeared to be a game hen (chicken) and berries.

The stomach of this male bobcat contained red feathers (a cardinal, I assume) and the feet of what must have been a rat.

Albeit at different times, the 2 were caught in the same area and had access to the same "meals."

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that Dan Wesson a 22? I have one that is and have never seen another.
What a flippin shooter !

(When I was a kid my father used to tell me that God hated a coward, I finally realized he has even less use for a fool.)

Posts: 887 | Location: Northwest Az | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Both predators are opportunists, with the coyote being the most opportunistic of the two. Without looking at results from studies, it is certanly possible both species are expanding at the same time.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's a Dan Wesson .22 LR with an 8" barrel. Much of the blue is worn off the barrel (shroud) from countless miles along traplines along with many a small game excursion.

I've had the revolver more years than I care to admit, and it is still superbly accurate. It's one gun that I can never see myself parting with.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ