THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    30/30 with 110 grainers for varmints

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30/30 with 110 grainers for varmints
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone in the crowd ever played with the 30/30 with 110 grainers for varmints?

I have toyed with the idea just to play with something while the main varmint guns barrel cools down some.

I have a fairly accurate latter production 24 inch barrel Winchester 94 I put a 6 power scope on and plan to take out to harrass prairie dogs with around the end of the month or so.

I had also debated at looking at a New England Arms single shot in 30/30 to load the 110 grain Sierra, 110 grain hollow points. Figured it would break up the day, with a little fun and a little more challenge. It would be interesting to see how much red mist a 110 gr HP would generate. Looked at Sythetic Stocked one for aboutr $190.00 locally. If it is half as accurate as the two rimfires I have from them, it will be a tack driver. ( 17 HRM and 22 MAG)

Thanks

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speer makes a neat little 110 gr. hollow point which I used to load quite a bit for my 30/30 as well as for others...I forget the exact load but I'm sure that the powder I used was Re-7 . Anyway, one of my friends shot a buck with one of these and it dropped in its tracks...He was so amazed by this that he had me load up five boxes for him. It is an accurate bullet and turns groundhogs inside-out, I don't think I'd use the load for deer, myself..........Big K

Posts: 33 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,I hope you don't mind.
I want to tag on to this as I have just bought a mint '95 made in 1939.
I haven't a clue about 30/30's.The intended use is Roe Deer in thick woodland and rabbits up to 100y.
Knowing no better I'm using 150's which seem to damage me more than the game.
2.5"@100y will do.Can the 110 do this?
Rob T.

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rob T:

No problem! I do have a lot of experience handloading the 30/30. If many of the componets are available in England that are available in the USA, Speer makes a 130 Flat Point and Sierra makes a 125 gr Fn/HP.

Both are better than the average 150 grain factory loads. You did not say whether you were a handloader or not.

As the other gentleman from PA above said, I use RL7 for the 125 Sierra loads.

Deer here where I live are not very big, so I think the 110 grainer would be fine for deer in England. Ours weigh about 70 to 80 pounds on average, here in Oregon. I see one guy at the range that originally loaded up a Ruger 77 Mk2 in 7.62 x 39 with a 110 grain RN for his son a few years ago. His son has outgrown the round, but Dad took such a shine to it, he uses it often for deer season. Nice stainless model with a 20 inch barrel. ( 308 bore instead of the Euro 311)

Another thing I can tell you I have experienced a strong increase in accuracy in a 30/30 Lever action is to use slower powders like 4350 or 4831 ( either IMR or Hodgdon). Velocity decreases, but the accuracy has tightened up dramatically in all of the 30/30s I have known that has tested this ( among the shooters I know who use it).

Believe it or not, it is even more accurate in my experience using Large Pistol primers also with those powders versus the Large rifle. Don't know why, but that is the results that I have seen in about 6 different 30/30s.

Let me know if you would like info on a real thumper load for the 30/30 also. I forwarn you it will kick a lot more than normal. But it will also add a lot of wallop for 150 yds or less!

Cheers!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,
The only cal I dont reload is .22LR.
Keep your eye on the ball we're after a 110g here from other punters.
Rob T.

[ 07-06-2003, 05:32: Message edited by: Rob T ]

Posts: 64 | Location: Merseyside,England | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I laod some 110 gr's for a freinds son out of his 30-30 he shot to deer with them both died. I think that if you want to shoot varmints with it it well be just fine. Another load for short range pdogs that was interisting was some 60gr .312 gold dots load to 2600 in a 308 very accurate out to 100 yards one holers. They just plain blow up. really does a number on pdogs a other small critters.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I don't reload 110 gr ,but 125 sierra pro hunter in front of mild 33 gr norma 202 gives me a honest 2400fps which mushrooms very nicely and penetrate as well as 150 grain fp . trajectory is nice due to the spitzer shape of the bullet. in my loading the case were Rem and cci large rifle.this load will kill every game you can usually kill with a 3030 up to 200 yds and more and accuracy is exellent in both of my guns a savage 340 and svage 24 v better than any factory loads. naturally this load shall not be used in tobular magazin unless you load it with only 2 rounds one in chamber and one in magazin.
best regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a light 30-30 load that is big on expansion I second the 110 Speer HP "Varminter" on top of 10 grains of Unique and any primer (1700fps). I use this for my coyote calling rifle and it is not real loud so it doesn't chase em out for miles away. For a faster load 33.0 grains of 3031 under the 110 grain Hornady spire point gets 2400fps and shoots fine in my 94 but due to overall length must not be put in the magazine or you will hang up your action and a gunsmith will profit from your error.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also use Unique powder for a Sierra 125 Pro-Hunter, but in my 30-06. I use 15g. of the stuff. Sure can get a lot of rounds loaded up out of one pound of powder!

I have no chrony, any ideas on the fps of that load? I also load 13g. Red Dot w/any bullet, but usually use the Rem SPCL (30-30) bullet.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote