THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    22 Long Rifle Varmint Gun Needed

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Long Rifle Varmint Gun Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I shoot from 35-175 yards using a 22LR with a Mil-Dot scope. I need a new 22 that has at least a 22 inch heavier barrel [hopefully longer], and has the ability to handle 10 round clips. Bolt, pump, or semi-auto. The catch is I want to spend as little as possible since this rifle takes a horride beating and I replace them every 3-5 years.

I will shoot ~10,000 rounds a year minimum.

What do you suggest?

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you can deal with a 5 round magazine, try a savage or a marlin.

barrel length, mag capacity, and price are all working against you on this one, as far as my knowledge (not far) goes.

maybe-
buy a 10/22 used, replace the barrel with a cheap .920 target, open the barrel channel on the factory stock. buy a replacement target sear & install.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel length could be a problem for semi-autos. A marlin 39 lever is longer, if you want a cheap accurate semi auto rifle try the Marlin 7000 0r model 60. I have found the factory marlin usually more accurate than the Rugers. however there are many options around for the Ruger that can upgrade the rifle. None of these will hang with an Anschutz bolt, but they are not cheap. Best of luck

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Another problem is that I need to add length to the stock. Being 6'8" tall I need a long LOP.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being 6'8" tall I need a long LOP

pal, I usually don't like anyone I look in the adam's apple.

Big Grin

I'm six five, wear a 39 inch sleeve, I've been crawling gunstocks my whole life. I used a borrowed rifle in Montana last year and punched myself in the eye twice with it.

try Numrich, they were some time ago selling used simple adjustable aluminum buttplates for remington target 22's. I put one on a M1 Carbine synthetic stock, you can get an extra 3 1/2 inches out of one of them.

also, Choate makes a dragunov style synthetic stock for the 10/22, standard and bull barrel. they have spacers you can add to the butt to gain LOP, I have some on an SKS in a Choate dragunov.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
The CZ 452 Military Training rifle has a 25" barrel and the stock feels good, be easy to add length with a recoil pad and a couple spacers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
333_OKH-

I've enjoyed your posts, and can't wait to see your finished custom rifle.

Anyway, my boss is the US distributor for Izhmash target rifles, the same company as Vostok, that built the Olympic target rifles so successful in the '60s.

We have a special now on their Biathlon Basic 7-2. The barrel is a little shorter than you mentioned, but serviceable. They're also hammer forged, which some say is more accurate, and leads to longer barrel life.

Now... what intrigues me is the toggle action. This is the same action as their serious biathlon rifles, and very, very quick.

They're Russian, so... I guess you'd expect they're built like a brick SH. A little heavy, and solid.

These are very accurate, and I don't think you'd have a problem firing the many rounds you will.

They come with magazines (I'm not at the shop), and additional 10 round magazines are $17.50. It's nice we stock these.

And... they have a Weaver style rail, so all you'll need is rings to mount your scope.

Well, there you have it. Practical, serviceable, very quick and accurate action, and a 10 round magazine.

If you're interested, PM me, or email to mauser1909@verizon.net

Or at our shop, mtguns@earthlink.net

Thanks,

flaco

N.B. And if LOP is really an issue, we can install an adjustable buttplate.

All we do is target rifles, so this kind of work is our specialty.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Biathlon Basic 3 years ago. It was between it and a CZ American. I liked the looks of the CZ better but the Biathlon's trigger was superior. I scoped it and it is absolute murder on ground squirrels from the offhand position out to 70-100 yards, even better if you have a rest. Best and most accurate 22 I've ever owned.

Posts: 98 | Location: Eagle, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
The CZ 452 Military Training rifle has a 25" barrel and the stock feels good, be easy to add length with a recoil pad and a couple spacers.

Yeah, I support this a thousand percent...

I have one of these and took the 2.5 x 10 Tasco Scope with the Mil Dot reticle off and put a surplus Tasco World Class 6 x 24 with a target dot reticle on it.. mounted on a see thru scope mount...

This is a tough rifle, is accurate as any 22 I have ever seen.. Mine has well over 30,000 rounds thru it and the accuracy hasn't declined a bit...It will still do head shots on sage rats/ ground squirrels out to 125 yards.. and love Federal or Winchester 36 grain Ammo that is sold at about ANY Walmart in the country!!!

to me, this is the next best thing to a Winchester 52 B for accuracy!... and the price was nowhere near what a 52B would have cost!!!

Its only down side is 5 and 10 round clips...

Here are a couple of links to pics with this rifle being used in Boy Scout Rifle Merit Badge training...

Don't let the fat old guy in this link bother you... it was some retired underwear model that volunteered to have these "Action" shots taken of him...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2093597124

One of our Boy Scouts qualifying for his accuracy shooting on his Rifle Merit Badge...

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2092990525

The CZ sure has helped build a lot of confidence in some of these Boys, that have failed to pass the Merit Badge with other rifles...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I wish I had bought one of these CZs last year when the cost was a lot lower.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think to replace my CZ training rifle would be about $249.00 locally here in Oregon..I paid $199.00 for it when I bought mine..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
$249.00 locally here in Oregon..I paid $199.00

Most I have seen recently were around $349.00

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
$249.00 locally here in Oregon..I paid $199.00

Most I have seen recently were around $349.00

Well that is in California and also, that is the fancier model...with a walnut stock.. the ones with the Birch stock are a lot cheaper...and more ulitarian...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the CZ 452 American and the Russian Biathlon Basic pictured above in 22 Rimfire. Both are accurate, and fun to shoot. I did trigger jobs on both so the pull weights are good at about 1 1/2 pounds now.
I can say that the Russian Biathlon Basic has the best factory barrel of any production 22 sporter made. With Wolf Match target ammo, sorted by weight and rim thickness, mine shoots 5 shots at 50 yards into a 1/4" group, off of a good front rest and rear bag. I've repeated that accuracy several times. I kind of like the Fortner bolt system too. But, in order to buy and shoot one regularly, you have to like the bolt system.