New
Find
Notify
Tools

??? Nutria Hunting ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any knowledge on Nutria Hunting in the Southern States? Have been to nutria.com but not getting much help.....will either go with a guide or on my own if possible......Thanks Hal

Posts: 93 | Location: Evart Mich USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A guided nutria hunt ? That's a new one, but anybody who wants to kill nutria is OK by me. I'd say that you will probably find the Louisiana Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries-Fur and Refuge Division people will help you out.

I took a lot of nutria in OR and WA when the pelts were more valuable. Mostly by trapping but I took a lot by drifting the canals in a skiff and shooting them on the banks with a .410 pump or .22 short HP's. Great fun and they're actually pretty good eating. But skinning, fleshing and stretching a few dozen nutria every night isn't any fun at all.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Hal,

Can't say about the "southern" states, but I've whacked quite a few here in Maryland. Our more temperate "eastern shore" is about the north end of their range and temperature tolerance. Most have frostbite damage to ears, feet and tail.

We were doing it during the late winter, after small game, deer and ducks were out of season, but before the fishing warmed up. Relieved the boredom, before I bought a house that takes up all my time anymore. In the colder weather, they huddle up on sunny banks trying to soak up a little heat, where they make easy targets. During summer, they seem more active and a little more wary. We have shot a lot of them with the more potent air rifles, .22 rimfires and shotguns with duck loads, just slowly cruising the creeks. For safety in the large, flat marshes, rifles and handguns are now limited here to .22 rimfire. I have taken most by sneaking around tidal marshes in a flat bottom boat with a bow and arrow. We use a bow and arrow because anything else was too easy, they are not very bright.

Bigger than a muskrat, with a boxy looking head. They are very easy to kill, with less power needed than an equivalent sized groundhog.

I saw a video of one of the Louisana police departments riding around at night, shining lights into the canals and shooting nutrias one after another with a suppressed .22 rifle. I don't know if it is legal for the average Joe to do that or not.

If I were to go elsewhere, I would contact the local game department and find out where they are the most problematic. I think I would probably try to get someone to take me the first time in strange territory, but it's hard to believe you couldn't have a good time just putt-ing around in a small boat in nutria country.

Good luck, kill 'em all.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote