THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    75 gr winchester hollow point .25 cal

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

75 gr winchester hollow point .25 cal
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased ($80) a box of 1000 winchester 75gr hollow points bullets to reload for my 25-06. I'm guessing they don't make these anymore because i can't find any data on them. Does any one have any load data they would'nt mind sharing. I loaded some with 48.9gr (3500fps) of varget, and shot just over an inch (5 shot group) at 100yrds. I used the load data from the 75 gr hornady bullet. and If anyone has had experience with this bullet and coyotes, let me know! I call coyotes and normally use my .223 howa axiom and would like to carry a lighter gun when i carry my shotgun as well.
ANYTHING on this bullet would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any data for that particular bullet, but I found the best powder with all 75gr bullets in my 25-06 to be Win 760. I loaded 55.5gr's for one hole groups with this powder and the Sierra 75gr HP. The velocity averaged 3699fps in my 24" barrel. (10 shots.)

I don't see why this bullet will behave any differently to other 75gr HP's.

IMHO, Varget is too fast for the 25-06, even with 75gr bullets.
Either H4350 or Win 760 are the ideal powders for both 75gr and 87gr bullets.

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bkmastr,

The Lyman 49th, Sierra V and Hodgdon manuals all have a lot of reloading data with the 75 grain bullet in the 25-06. I just looked at Load Data and there is a wealth of receipes listed but none specifically with the Winchester bullet. If you start low and work up you should be fine. I shot some in my 257 Wea but they were only marginally accurate, perhaps the twist is not right. PM me if you want me to pull some specific data out.
Good luck,
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can always use data for heavier bullets and go from there. This is what handloading is all about - developing the best loads for your rifle.

The use of 85 or 87gr. data for starting is just fine.

When developing loads for your rifle with any powder, any bullet, you always start at the bottom and work your way from there, watching and measuring for pressure as well as watching for accuracy and velocity to compare to ballistic programs, etc.

Not having data for a particular bullet is not a stopper at all and not even an inconvenience - merely use a load 1gr. over a starting load for a .25/06 with 85gr. and you are off to the races

2 guns rarely give the same results anyway. What one gun does with a particular load is most likely different that what yours will do with the same load.

Daryl S.

Posts: 169 | Location: Central B.C. | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no recipes but I have used the 87 gr in 25-06 on coyote
destroyed it
If you are wanting the pelts you may want something a bit tougher

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
...IMHO, Varget is too fast for the 25-06, even with 75gr bullets.
Either H4350 or Win 760 are the ideal powders for both 75gr and 87gr bullets.

How or where can one go to find this sort of information? The relative burning speed of certain powders in a given caliber I think is extremely good information to have but I have no idea how to find it, other than little tidbits like this.
I'm aware of the buring rate chart but what I don't know is, for example, why Varget is too fast for the 25-06 and why H4350 is better.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Wolfe Publishing Company's Load Data pages has
loads for the .25-06 using Varget for bullet
weights clear up to 120gr, using Hodgdon data.
These loads are undoubtedly on Hodgdons web site
as well.

There are those who will tell you that RL15 is too
fast for 75gr bullets as well, but I've been using
it for years with no pressure signs.

As usual, always double-check the reloading
info you get from forums. "IMHO" is not
necessarily "factual". Wink

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Danno,
I can get on loaddata and pull recipes and have all the data books I need. What I don't understand is how a person determines that a particular powder is too slow or fast for a particular bullet and caliber.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Cliff, If the Powder is too slow, you will run out of room in the Case before you reach an optimum Pressure and the Velocity will be low.

If the Powder is too fast, the Powder will be loose inside the Case when it hits a SAFE MAX Pressure. The more space available creates a myriad of problems, from potential Double Charging, Erratic Burning(and thus Erratic Pressure and Erratic long distance Accuracy), Flash Over, Ka-Booms and lower Velocity(at SAFE and Sane Pressures) than when the best Powder is used.

The best Powder for any specific Cartridge and Bullet combination will be one that reaches a SAFE MAX Pressure while being slightly Compressed. It will provide the highest SAFE Velocity for that combination and excellent Accuracy(after a bit of Fine Tuning).

Some of the Load Manuals mention when a Load is Compressed and you can see how the Velocity did for each Powder. No $$$money$$$ needs to be wasted on a chronograph to determine the best Powder for a Cartridge.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am headed out today to shoot a few loads i'm developing, and on the way i am stopping by a guys house and picking up 2200 .257 cal bullets of various weights and brands. All these for $175. thats $8/box tu2

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't use this bullet on anything big. A long time ago my friend and I got invited to a great place to hunt at the very last minute and he grabbed his Rem 700HB in 25-06 and a box of bullets he thought were 120s. They were 87gr WW factory. Long story short, the buck broke cover being run by dogs and he got a shot across a pasture. The bullet hit the buck in the hind quarter( it was running flat out) and turned it into jelly! It made the small stream on the other side of the field and we recovered it there, but both hind quarters were ruined.

Posts: 37 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 12 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
bkmastr
one of us

Posted 14 April 2010 22:19
I recently purchased ($80) a box of 1000 winchester 75gr hollow points bullets to reload for my 25-06. I'm guessing they don't make these anymore

I once had a beautiful #1 Ruger in 25-06 that didn't like "normal" weight bullets too much. So, I tried 75 V-maxs and 50 gr Varget and it was magic! That thing would shoot 1/2 100 yard groups consistently and @3750fps! It was 2 for 2 on 450yd chucks until I got worried about scuffing that fine wood (all my guns have synthetic stocks now). I've kicked myself a few times for getting rid of it- haven't we all?