New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 204 accuracy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I purchased my first 204 this weekend and have not got to shoot it yet. (CZ American) Do any of you CZ owners have any accuracy reports with the factory Hornandy 32 or the 40 grain ammo? Accuracy loads that you might recommend for a starting place. Plan to shoot coyotes and paper mainly. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks JB

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I answered half of my questions tonight, shot a couple of 3 shot groups under a dime with 40 gr Hornady factory ammo. Plan to get starting answering the other questions when the dies get here. JB

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jbok, Good for you!! Sounds like you got a winner there!!! As far as loading the .204 goes, Accurate 2230 and Accurate 2520 have done a fine job in the different .204's I'vetried them in and H4895 seems to be a staple in the .204 diet!! The Accurate 2230 at 27.8-28.3 grains under the 32's gives great accurracy with the added velocity over some of the other powders! The Accurate 2520 at 27.5 grains with the 39 grain Sierra is my go to load for consistent long range varmint dispatchng!!! Try it!! You might like it!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can vouch for GHD's Acurrate 2230 loads, they helped me get on the fast track for that particular powder. Start low and work up slowly, I also have a IMR4198 load that worked well. I'll dig it up for you tomorrow. What part of Kansas are you from?

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jbhewitt, I would appreciate the load info. Do you like the 32's or the 39/40's for accuracy. Thanks JB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloading info can be found at http://www.rugerhunting.com_data.php

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jbok, The loads I listed were from my testing in 4 different .204's. The 2230 loads with the 32's(Sierra or Hornady) are accurate and flat darn fast!! My maximum load listed was not the maximum tested loas but is a safe stopping point!!! If you have a chronograph handy while testing them, make sure to have it on and running!!! The 2520 loads are using the 39 grain Sierras. Sierras have a couple things going for them.....1)accurate bullets(Sierra has been making accurate bullets for a LONG TIME!!!) and 2) not as expensive as the others!!! and 3) deadly on a varmint when they get there!!! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog, Thanks for the input, I have some 2230c powder to try. Will see what happens. jb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JBOK, C'mon, tell them the rest of the story. What he didn't say was that this little petite 527 American CZ across the hood of my pickup, just before dark, put the first two on top of each other and the other one almost a quarter of an inch away; with 40 gr. Hornady factory ammo. All we had to try. Thanks JB for NOT telling them how my new LVSF shot. Back to the reloading bench I guess. The coyotes will be shaking in their paws; but not for long. Great new rifle. jp

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that Ramshot TAC powder also does very well in the 204 . Any of the appropriate ball powders are sure nice is these sub calibers cause they pour easy down the smallish necks .

Sounds like you got a winner with the CZ cause the 40 gr V-max is one bullet some rifles have trouble with . If you can shoot that , you should be able to group good with about any other bullet......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jbok, The Accurate 2230 I use is "Accurate 2230" not the 2230c! I've never shot any of the 2230c. I know if it works it would be cheaper!!! I'm not sure of the burn rate of 2230c compared to 2230 but I think and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the 2230c is just a tad slower burning than the 2230. GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Groundhog, just thought I might try it since I had a little left. It is a little hotter and it is recommended that you reduce load about 10% to start from 2230. It has shot very well in my 223's. I appriciate all the help. jb

posted Hide Post
In my CZ varmint 204, Benchmark and 32gr bk's, and Varget with the 39gr bk's shot fantastic. But I like 35gr Bergers and H4895 for coyotes.

Posts: 20 | Location: midwest | Registered: 27 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Coyotejunki, thanks for your reply. I owned a CZ varmint in 223 and still wonder why I sold it. I have had alot of experience with Ballistic tips and V-Max bullets in my 223 and they killed coyotes like a demon. The Berger hollow points seem to put the smash on a coyote fine, right? I have tried Varget and have had great accuracy results with other calibers. Also have some H4895, thanks for the info and a place to get started with my 204.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbok: I do not own a CZ in caliber 204 Ruger but I did spend time on three different Varmint Safaris last year with 3 different Hunters that had them.
They performed flawlessly in the field and I even tried several shots with each of their Rifles.
Two were Varmint weight Rifles and the third was a sporter type.
All three Hunters used the wonderful Sierra 32 gr. BlitzKing bullets in their Rifles!
I highly recommend the 32 gr. Sierras myself. I am shooting the Sierra 32 out of one of my 204's now and once I use up the expensive Berger 35 grain bullets I have in my loading locker I will be switching all my 204's over to the Sierra 32 grain BlitzKings.
Is my memory failing me (as its been several months since I fired these CZ Rifles) but isn't the CZ safety bassackwards? Isn't the safety lever on the CZ's moved forward for SAFE and rearward for FIRE?
Could you clarify that for me please?
Anyway best of luck with your CZ.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote