THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    T/C Encore for varmint calibers

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

T/C Encore for varmint calibers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just bought a T/C Encore in a 50 cal muzzleloader and was considering contacting either Virgin Valley or Bullberry to build me a custom Shilen barrel for it in .22-250. Do any of you have any experiance w/ Encores chambered in rifle calibers and what type of accuracy are they capable of. Also any advice on Virgin Valley vs. Bullberry whould also be helpful. Thanks

Posts: 123 | Location: grand rapids | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You won't be sorry getting a varmit barrel for the encore. I shoot a 22-250 Eabco custom with shilen barrel and a burris variable scope and was routinely taking PD out to 250-300 yards. Any PD under 200 yards was a given. I don't punch paper much and can't give you MOA figures. Ed

Posts: 88 | Location: Eastern Kansas | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CD,
I presently have an encore in 25-06. It's a factory heavy barrel and my best group to date is .24" 4 shot group. Factory barrels have been said to by "iffy" as far as accuracy goes but this is my 4th factory barrel (15".243, 15" 30-06, and a 24" std contour 25-06) and all have been good shooters. The thing to pay close attention to with encore's is the barrel to frame gap. Once you determine that, FL size your cases approx. .001 shorter. Often times the factory barrels have a chamber cut too short or too long. (I have heard where the custom barrels have this problem as well). When the chambers are too short your case is "crushed" into the chamber and this puts stress on the system thereby causing accuracy to suffer. When the chamber is too long, the case has excess slop when the gun is closed and the same accuracy problems will happen. On my 25-06, the chamber is a bit too long. I guess I could go the fireform route, but instead, I wildcat 30-06 cases to 25-06 with my FL die set up factoring in the frame gap measurements. Also, get yourself one of Mike Bellem's over sized hinge pins. These take out the slop the factory pins are notorious for.
In short, encores make great varmint guns and are alot of fun, they just take a little more work compared to a bolt gun. Good luck and let us know what you decide to get. I can gurantee it will not be your last barrel!

Posts: 352 | Location: NJ | Registered: 24 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where can i get one of those oversize pins from Mike Bellem? Im planning on getting a .22-250, a 7.21 Lazzeroni Tomahawk and a few others maybe a Tactical 20 and another good smaller deer caliber like a .260 or a 7mm08 or something in that relm. Maybe even a .338 Lapua someday just for the fun of it.

Posts: 123 | Location: grand rapids | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't tell you about VV or Bullberry barrels, but both seem nice. I have the factory 24" 22-250 and I can shoot 2-3" groups most times at 100 yards with the factory sights so far. I just got it a couple weeks ago and I haven't gotten a scope or dies for it yet, but I will. I'm sure it will shoot lights out or it should anyways haha. I also have a 15" .270wcf barrel with a 4x Leupold on it and I can shoot about 3" groups off hand at 150 yards with it. I keep getting better with more practice, that's all it takes. I think the T/C Encore is a great set-up to have and their accuracy is excellent. Good luck in your quest and I'm sure you would be happy with either Virgin Valley or Bullberry. From what I've heard both are top notch. Regards,

Matt

Posts: 46 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Chuckduster,

I recently purchased a 6-flute, full-bull, SS barrel from VVCG in .220 Swift. After a couple days at the range and a few hours at the reloading bench, I have achieved 5-shot groups of .300 inches. I highly recommend VVCG as they make a hell of a product and are a friendly and helpful bunch. I also had them perform a trigger job which rendered a pull of about 1.75 lbs. The only complaint I have is with regard to delivery time. I was quoted a delivery of 6-8 weeks that ultimately happened after about 14 weeks. Luckily I placed the order early January and have enjoyed the rig for prime chuckin'. So, plan ahead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First barrel for my SS encore 3 years ago was a Virgin Valley 22-250 Ack SS .875 muzzel 6 flutes and a muzzel brake. While fireforming I shot all the bullets at the same target after getting it sighted in. Was puting hornady 55gr moly v-max bullets in 1" at 100 yds. This was fireforming loads. The first load I tried with the FF cases was with thr 50gr moly v-max and shot 10 shots that can all be covered with a nickle. Haven't seen fit to work more on the load because this is all the performance I need. This past year used this rig with 60gr partions to take two deer. Stellar performance. Can't go wrong with VV. In fact have 4 barrels here and waiting on my other 2 to be delivered. If you want to save some cash and wait time ask what they have in inventory. They may have what you want on the shelf.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Red Mist:
Chuckduster,

I recently purchased a 6-flute, full-bull, SS barrel from VVCG in .220 Swift. After a couple days at the range and a few hours at the reloading bench, I have achieved 5-shot groups of .300 inches. I highly recommend VVCG as they make a hell of a product and are a friendly and helpful bunch. I also had them perform a trigger job which rendered a pull of about 1.75 lbs. The only complaint I have is with regard to delivery time. I was quoted a delivery of 6-8 weeks that ultimately happened after about 14 weeks. Luckily I placed the order early January and have enjoyed the rig for prime chuckin'. So, plan ahead.

I just boght an Encore from them in 22-250. I got everything from them including the barrel. It was all shipped in three days. So if it takes time for them to get it to you it is becuase they were not able to get it in shop. Once they have it in shop the turnaround is almost imidiate.