Find
Notify
Tools

250 Savage Varminters
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
how many of you guys have used a 250 Savage as a varmint rig?

I have a Ruger 77 Sporter that is chambered in 22.250, that is accurate but just have never been able to feed right.. it is forever jamming..

since I have 3 other 22.250s as varmint rifles, I was debating to take this one and rebarrel it to a 250 Savage that would be used as a single shot varminter for Prairie Dogs and target shooting....

I don't need one as I have 243s, 22.250s 260, 6mm Rem... but I was thinking it would be kinda retro and both cool and different, not seen every day any more...

That was kind of an idea instead of just getting rid of it.. it is a Stainless with Laminate Stock...

so any experiences would be kind of interesting to hear about..

also considering into just making it a 250 Savage sporter...

cheers
seafire

beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seafire i have 2 of them a savage 99 and a ruger model 77the savage is for when i feel real good and the ruger is for long range.i have been using the 75 gr.v-max and it makes long shots easy as long as i do my part.the wind out here doesn't bother the round as much and when they hit a PDit really jumps.i think you will enjoy it.go for it

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
also considering into just making it a 250 Savage sporter...

A nice medium game/casual varmint carry rifle, recoil friendly.

I believe the 250 was developed for this purpose.

It's a classy round, and in the Ruger, would make a classy looking rifle.

Now I'm gettin' all nostalgic, and wanting oneSmiler

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
They make a great walk about sporter. Had one in a mauser '98 and had a great time with it.

It's a bit like the .220 swift, a touch of class amongst the common herd.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
coffeeThe Stevens Mod. 200 with a light weight 24" Deep throated, Shaw barrel in 250-3000 is a genuine fun gun. The long period of excited anticipation are ,now, being greatly rewarded. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had both. The varminter is a Ruger #3 with a Douglas 24" #8 taper, a Kepplinger single set trigger, and a Wenig laminated stock set. It was great out to 300yds with 75gr V-max.
I decided I wanted more pop so I reamed it to Ackley improved.
The sporter is a Savage model 10 rebarreled with a 25/06 take off that is 1 in 10. It has become my go to whitetail rifle.
IMHO you can't go wrong with either or both configurations in 250/3000!!!
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an older Ruger 77 with a heavy Douglas barrel in 250-3000 that I put together in 1992. It works fine and is easy to get MOA or better groups at 3200 fps with the 75 grain VMax or Sierra HP bullets. I prefer a little more speed in most of my .257" bore rifles, so I'm much more likely to shoot the 25 WSSMs or 25-284s. Shorter/lighter rifles, like the Ruger 77 RSI, Savage 1920, and Winchester 70 Lightweight Carbines fit my idea of "ideal" platforms for the 250-3000 better than a heavy barrel varmint rig, but different folks, different folks.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
When I decided to build the ultimate "varmint" rifle, I thought about what varmint I hunt. I call coyotes, therefor, I chose an M98 in a wildcat that is the same as the .250/3000.
My gunsmith didn't have a .250 reamer, but DID have a .257 Improved. We shortreamed by .25". It becomes the same as a .250, with a long neck, and a 40* shoulder. Ballistics? Samo.
Mine has a 20" barrel, and a thumbhole stock. The scope is a 2-7x Widefield, and anything within 300 yards has nothing to worry about-it won't feel a thing!
No recoil, accurate as one could as ask, and easy to carry. What more is there?
Have fun,
Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lf l were to do a varmint gun today in 250 l
would use the best barrel l could get in a 1 in 13 or 1 in 12 twest.the one in 13 would be the
best for the varmint bullets made today.in years
gone by the 1 in 14 was the best for bullets up
to 100gr.hope this helps.The 250 Savage is as
good a varmint round as any out there...

Posts: 43 | Location: Hornell N.Y. | Registered: 01 August 2005Reply With Quote