Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

baiting
 Login/Join

posted
Whats a good bait for skunks and coons, I've heard sardines in oil anything else work?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a can of tuna fish(in water) put it in a Mason jar,close the lid and let it sit in the sun for a few days.

It smells like the putrid ,rotting carrion that coons and possums love.Also, if you have any bears nearby expect a visit from them as well....

Nothing like "stink in a jar" to make 'em come a runnin'.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skunks aren't particular. The problem is neither are possums and other critters. I used to live out in the country and paid a lot of attention to the habits of the critters. The possums visited my house first after it got good and dark. Then about the time they left, the coons would show up to see what they could get into. The skunks always seemed to come around at about 10:00 pm. I had one you could practically set your watch by.

Anyway, keeping the other guys from eating up all the goodies before the skunks get there is the hard part.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scrow - I just noticed you are interested in coons as well. They LOVE corn. Just scatter some deer corn and they'll come for their share. I used to keep 50lbs at a time in a trash can with lid. The coons would come each night, pop the lid and help themselves. They were more fun to watch than shoot. The mama would climb inside and throw handfulls of the stuff out for the little tykes.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote