Find
Notify
Tools

varmint load for 25-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bkm
posted
Anybody have a good varmint load for 25-06?

Posts: 34 | Location: NORTHERN MINNESOTA | Registered: 31 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
49.7 grains of VARGET and the 75 grain Vmax. 56 grains of Reloader 19 and the 85 grain Nosler BT. Best varmint load of all time used the 90 grain Winchester P.E.P.'s and healthy doses of IMR 4350 or IMR 3031 but sadly those projectiles are not available as a component any longer. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reading this with interest as I just took delivery of my first 25-06 Rifle yesterday.
I saved your loads GHD. Thank you for posting them.
I've done a lot of 25 caliber testing with four 257 Roberts rifles and three 250 Savages, one of them a 250 AI.
I've had excellent luck with Sierra's 90 grain HPBT and Speer's 87 grain TNT in all of the rifles I mentioned. These two bullets may be a good substitute for the Winchester bullet no longer available that you mentioned GHD.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go-to load for long range PD's is 100gr Sierra HPBT over 53.5gr IMR4831. This load is particularly effective in the winds of the Texas Panhandle.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite varmint load for my 25-06 consists of:

Remington case
Fed 210 primer
57 grains IMR 4831
Hornady 75 grain V-Max

In my 24 inch Lilja barrel I chronographed it at 3570 fps and the group was a 1/2 inch. This load does great on coyotes.

However, with our new lead ban in this part of California I imagine I will have to start shooting coyotes with 100 grain Barnes TSX bullets, pretty sad situation, to be sure.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

However, with our new lead ban in this part of California I imagine I will have to start shooting coyotes with 100 grain Barnes TSX bullets, pretty sad situation, to be sure.[/QUOTE]

Actually,if you are shooting between Hwy 99 & I-5 lead is ok.

Posts: 90 | Location: Ca. | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wingman, thanks for the reminder. I do some coyote hunting in the area between 99 and I-5 so I will continue to use the V-Max there.

However, the majority of my predator hunting is east of the 99 so I will have to use something else in my 25-06.

Shot a coyote a week or so ago with a 110 grain tipped TSX from a 270 WSM, sure did a number on that one. (That load starts out at nearly 3600 fps.)

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Shot this one a couple weeks ago with a no-lead Varmnit grenade 63gr. 243. Not pretty.

Posts: 90 | Location: Ca. | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bkm
posted Hide Post
WHOA!! That's awesome!! I would like to keep a pelt or two though.

Posts: 34 | Location: NORTHERN MINNESOTA | Registered: 31 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bkm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've done a lot of 25 caliber testing with four 257 Roberts rifles and three 250 Savages, one of them a 250 AI.
I've had excellent luck with Sierra's 90 grain HPBT and Speer's 87 grain TNT in all of the rifles I mentioned. These two bullets may be a good substitute for the Winchester bullet no longer available that you mentioned GHD.

I really like the Sierra gameking SPBT for deer. I haven't tried the HPBT's, but definately going to try them. I seem to get better accuracy with the Sierra's than with noslers. Not that the Noslers are that bad, but the Sierras tend to shoot better out of my 25-06 and 300 wsm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bkm:
quote:

I really like the Sierra gameking SPBT for deer. I haven't tried the HPBT's, but definately going to try them. I seem to get better accuracy with the Sierra's than with noslers. Not that the Noslers are that bad, but the Sierras tend to shoot better out of my 25-06 and 300 wsm

I'll have to check out the Sierra SPBT's you mention. I've never tried any of them.

Thanks for the info!

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
My favorite .25-06 varmint load is the Rem. 87 gr. HP, 58.0 grs. H-4831, Rem. brass, and Fed. 210 primer. It is about 3500 fps. from a Rem. 700 Classic with a 24 inch barrel. I prefer this load over the 75 gr. bullets due to the wind where I hunt in Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming. This bullet is also really explosive on rock chucks. If you want to save coyote hides, it might be worth trying the tipped Barnes TSX.

posted Hide Post
Stick with something smaller , like a 6PPC or a 17 HMR if you want thant the pelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want to save the pelts try a 100gr nosler partition or one of the other controlled expansion bullets. You will always get an exit hole but it will be small and easy to sew up.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i stick with 100 grain hornady bullets and something like 58.4 grains of RL-22. also use it on deer. pure heck on groundhogs.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bkm:
Anybody have a good varmint load for 25-06?

If serious about saving pelts I'd go to the 100 TSX and or the 120 Sierra HPBT.

Also do all that you can to avoid hitting the major bones like the spine/shoulder and on a front on shot the best bone.

Avoiding major bones will go a long way towards pelt preservation.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote