THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    What to take for prairie dog hunting? And where to find them in Kansas?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to take for prairie dog hunting? And where to find them in Kansas?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I need a COMPLETE list of everything I will need for a couple days of prairie dog hunting. Last year I went with some people for a day after shooting Nationals, but they had most everything. I plan on borrowing a couple 223s, and taking my 6mm Ackley for longer shots, and my 45-70 to sneak up on them with and pop em at close range. Big Grin 22s of course as well.

Also, does anyone know of significant prairie dog populations near Great Bend, Kansas? My dad judges livestock, so I'm going with him, then we're going prairie dog hunting afterwords.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leave the .45-70 at home. I know it might be fun to try to pop a few dogs with it, but the big, relatively hard bullet can and will bounce off of the ground and can travel a long way afterward. Prairie dog ammunition should be highly frangible for safety's sake.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. first and foremost take somebody who knows where they are....at $4 / gl for gas driving around looking can get a bit pricey and besides if you have everything else you won't get to use it if there are no dogs.

2. binos, steady fold up table, chair, ammo, rifle(s), front and rear rifle rests, spotter, water, sunscreen

3. everything else you need for basic subsistence.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a national grassland in the S.W. corner of Kansas. Cimmaron. I would work out from there calling chambers of commerce. Should be dogs around. Nothing organized. And with gas at $4.00... luck.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Alright, thanks for the advice. I would like to get one at 1000 yards but that would be alot of luck for my 2nd trip. I got a couple off the same mound at 650 yards last year with a 22-250. 6mm Ackley's bullets fly a good bit flatter past 500 yards, but there's still a lot of luck involved (especially for me) hitting something that small that far. Once I get my 338 Edge built it should buck wind very, very well. Might try and take it next summer if it's finished.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call the chamber of commerce in Great Bend. They can help. If you just want to see some great wildlife, go to the wetlands. This time of the year, there should be lots to see.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
asking somebody where their PD shooting spot is archer is the same as asking a fisherman where he caught all those fish. fishing secrets of national defense hold a distant second spot

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask me first where I keep my gold and how long I plan to be away from the house. Where the mine is.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote