TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a copy of a post I made on the 1/31/10 in this same forum. I've not changed my mind. I have the old optronics 350 yd. scope mounted 6v light. Works better than the ND3.

Guys,

My $.02.

Don't waste your time or money.

I had high hopes for the Laser Genetics ND3 laser system.
I had my guy at the local gunshop grab me one as soon as they came out. Man was I stoked. Night vision for less than $300.

Took it to my lease during deer season. Figured I start out by popping a couple hogs at night when they come to the corn.

First problem came when trying to set up the scope rings on the mount. Mine were drilled off and I could only get three of the four screws to engage. A hassle, but not a major problem

I sat about 80 yds away from a spin cast feeder where they come in most every night. I have a game cam on this feeder so I can pattern them. This year they are almost exclusively nocturnal.

First major problem was that I encountered was getting the windage to adjust to center. Bummer.

The deal killer was that the laser did not work as advertised.
It has a dial that focuses the beam. Yes you could use it like a laser pointer and see where the laser impacted at 100 yds. plus, but it would not illuminate the target past say 25 yds.
By that I mean as you opened up the beam to fill the scope objective, beyond twenty five yards or so you could not see the reticle or the target. I tried several different sets of batteries, and within five to 10 minutes of turning on the laser, it would start strobing. No good. I took mine back for a refund within a week.
I've talked to at least one other person who posts on this board that hunts varmints and who I hunted with, and his experience was the same.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Wow, so different--

I had mine mounted on the quad-rail directly below the bore and it was spot on at 65 yds.

Targets were easily acquired

(hence , my enthusiasm in the 1st post)

Wonder if they have improved the product in six months??

Or did I get a good one and you get a bad one??

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Evidently your experience was in direct contrast to mine. I'm glad yours worked.
I will say is that I was supremely disappointed. We have tons of hogs roaming at night. Perhaps someone else can post a positive response.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Geedubya said...two fellow shooter both had similar issues with usable distance...at 100yd-ish, adjusting the beam for enough brilliance would result in seeing a "spot" on the animal, not the entire critter.
Leupy and Nikon scopes in use, so good glass.

And one had the similar issue with screws/mount...no way to get them all started.

If that wasn't enough, when short battery life also showed up, back they went for a refund.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but +1 with GW and MR. I have used both the large and small ones in the field. At best they seem redundant to a good light. I don't see a way to justify the high cost either.

I am glad you like yours and are happy with it. I just won't be laying out any of my dollars for one.

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
I've had one since last summer, and I really like mine. I killed a black boar hog in west Texas back in September, on a pitch black night.
That being said, it was only about 65 yds, and I have a Nightforce on my R25. The illuminated reticle is almost too bright on the factory setting, but that is easily corrected.

I'll be keeping mine.

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I think they might be OK for hogs, but I still don't want one for predators. I want a light for them. Different strokes....

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an ND-3 with scope mounts etc..(all my screws fit in the mounts). Never used on a hunt. Basically mounted it and made the AR feel to heavy so i took it off. Bought it 3 months ago.

I'll sell it for $225.00 (OBO) shipped to lower 48.

Let me know
Jose

Posts: 123 | Location: Vero Beach, FL | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll stand by my original post.

To my mind the advertising for this product borders on being fraudulent.

I bit, bought one, used it over a weekend, took it back and luckily got my money back.
If I'd looked a little closer at the packaging/disclosure, I would have noticed it was a BSA product(Birmingham Small Arms) Had I noticed that before I plunked my money down, I'd have saved myself some trouble. Better to buy quality used than junk at retail.
I'm with Bob, a quality scope mounted light is better than this.
GWB

GWB

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Humm.... I like mine but I just use it for hogs...

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My cousin bought the ND-5 and that one works well out to 100yds at least.

Didn't have an ND-3 to compare.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the new ND-3 x 40's on review, and will let you know how it goes in the near future. I had recieved an ND-3 unit last year but it died while out on loan. while it was working it showed some good potential with high end optics against new digi sight that's come onto the market over here, so we'll be looking for better things this time.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so-so on the ND-3. It lights the target well but cold really gets to it and the mount does not stay sighted in. I have to resight after i get in postion and set up.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
GW or Bob,

Any recommendations for a good night set up for 100 yard hunting? Any lights work well at that distance?

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Scott,

For a rifle mounted light, the Elusive Wildlife Technologies Kill Light is great. I started playing with one in the field a few weeks ago. Order extra batteries. Here is a link:
Kill Light Link-Click Here

For a truck mounted light, I use both the LightForce 170 and the MagnaLight. The MagnaLight is a U.S. clone of the LightForce and they have one model that is more powerful:
MagnaLight Link-Click Here

You need to put a sleeve on the front of the hand helds so you don't light up your truck. Plastic paint cans/pails painted black work, the new Halo Shield is even better:
Halo Shield Link-Click Here

MagnaLight also has a powerful magnetic base you can get. We use them on both calling trucks.
Magnetic Base Link-Click Here

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated Bob!

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
Hey Scott,

For a rifle mounted light, the Elusive Wildlife Technologies Kill Light is great. I started playing with one in the field a few weeks ago. Order extra batteries. Here is a link:
Kill Light Link-Click Here

Bob, have you tried the different color LEDs? If so, how do they compare?

Range wise, how does this light compare to the Lightforce 170?

Thanks!

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I have used green and red. Green is always going to be brighter. I prefer red personally.

The $104 MagnaLight is close to the LightForce 170, and the higher power model is quite a bit brighter. We use it as our primary calling light in the high rack.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have used green and red. Green is always going to be brighter. I prefer red personally.

What range can you generally get positive target ID w/the red XLR 250?

I have the LF 170 but it is too cumbersome for rifle mount and am looking for a smaller/lighter light.

Thanks,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote