THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Re: Game Calls for Rocky Mtn and River Bottom Areas

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Game Calls for Rocky Mtn and River Bottom Areas
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Deke,

The Sceery Cottontail call is the one I use for 95% of my calling on the Eastern Plains. Works great. This time of year I will also use a pack howling tape, in my homemade caller (old car cassette player, Radio Shack power amp and speaker horn, Gel cell battery).
Good luck and let us know how you do.
Fred

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just getting started w/coyote and other predator hunting. I will hunt river bottoms on the Colorado plains and in the Colorado foothills. I do not have a clue as to which calls work well.

The Lohman Pro Predator System "looked" like a good deal. The following verbage accompanied it, "3 Calls, Model 270, All the predator calls you'll ever need. Three calls in one package; walnut long range for high wind and open country, clear cherry medium range and burnt cherry close-in for when the varmint is close, but not close enough!"

Does anybody know about this kit or others. An instructional cassette or CD would probably be helpful as well.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
You will be a lot better off if you start out with one of Ed Sceery's kits. They include 3 calls and a video.

Sceery Game Calls
Western Predator Kit #APK-W
"Top choice of government hunters in both the United States and Canada. Even the most call-shy varmint will respond to the authentic sounds of these expertly designed and carefully hand-tuned calls. Hand-crafted of non-reflective, soft camouflage rubber and equipped with a hand-tuned, quick-change reed and a matching braided, nylon lanyard. These are super effective for calling all North American predators-coyote, bobcat, fox, wolf, mountain lion and bear. You'll appreciate the solid, comfortable feel of the ribbed barrels and the extra volume produced by the stepped-tone sound chambers. Kit contains: AP-1 Rodent Call, AP-2 Cottontail Call, AP-3 Jackrabbit Call, and the PV-2 Video - Ed Sceery reviews how to blow and operate the different predator calls for best field results. 30 minutes VHS"

Includes 3 Outfitter Grade Calls & Video
$44.95

Here is a link to AllPredatorCalls.com:
APC.com-Sceery Calls Link

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I saw these also and I had already purchased the cottontail call by Sceery (which I can return for the full blown kit). However, the price of Sceery's kit is about $47 and I can get the Lohman for about $30 less. Do you or those you know have experience with both? Very well could be a case of "you get what you pay for".....

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Deke,

The Sceery kit is $44.95 from APC and includes a good video. You do get what you pay for.

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote