New
Find
Notify
Tools

52 Gr. Hornady A-Max
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Back in January, there was a big discussion about the "best bullet" to use on Coyotes in the .22 centerfire rifles. "Best" being, one that kills quickly, doesn't fragment or blowup on entrance but is easy on fur. During that discussion, someone suggested the 52 Gr. Hornady A-Max. Has anyone tried it yet on Coyotes or Groundhogs? Any other "Best" bullets you're using?

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the best accuracy with a 55gr Hornaday SP and also a 55gr Nosler BT in my .223 NEF. I have shot several coyotes with the 55gr Horn but have not used the Nosler yet. Both are excellent bullets for the .223's and mr coyote.

Posts: 23 | Location: SE Wisconsin | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The A-Max bullet is of different construction than the Vmax.I'm not too sure, but it may not open up as fast as the Vmaxes.

I bring this up because in order to get a varmint slug that will kill a coyote realiably by BOTH penetrating enough AND expand fast without going out the other side and leaving a hge hole is kind of a lot to ask.It's a combination of bullet weight, bullet construction,caliber and velocity.I had a lot of luck for many years with the Hornady match grade 53gFB HP bullets in big cases rounds like the 22-250 and the Swift.They are a softer copper jacket than many match bullets and they seem to stay in the animal.

Some gents have found the various 40g bullets work well on yotes in terms of saving pelts as when these are used with solid thorax(shoulder and ribcage hits) they don't come out the other side.The trouble is they expand VERY fast at nearly 4,000 fps and on icy or wet winter fur often begin expanding before they even pentrate the hide!

If I am using a smaller .22 round Hornet to .223),I prefer the 40g bullets.IMHO,Large cased .22 centerfires need a bit more bullet weight on yotes for all around use.

Overall a 50-55g Varmint bullet like a Vmax or a Nosler BT is hard to beat.A good balance of fast expansion,bullet weight and ballistics to get the most out of a large cased .22.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sharpsman, Thank you for sharing the benefit of your experience. This year, back in January and early Feb., There was a big discussion on this forum about this subject. One of the varmint hunters contributing said he had been told, by an experienced source, that the A-Max was the "way to go", and he was going to try them. I was wondering if anyone had actually had any "hands on" experience with them yet..I've been using the 50 gr. Nosler B. Tip and haven't had a problem with them, but I've seen so many comments from others indicating that on a quartering shot, the bullet is likely to explode on the outside, before it get in the body cavity. I'm just looking for good sound advice, like your comments above...Thanks again......George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've no comments about the 52 A-Max but I would like to give them a go.

I've actually shot quite a few yotes with the Barnes x in a 22 and with the Trophy Bonded and another hard bullet or two. For excellent results and for ease on the pelt then these would warrent a look.

Now as for your comments on the 50 Noz Bt it is an excellent bullet and we have taken a lot of yotes from far to near in warm and in freezing weather. The load is running right at 4000 fps using R15. It is mighty hard to beat.

As for comments about 40's or 50's blowing up on skin be it warm/wet/ or frozen that is not anything I'd ever bet on seeing! That my friends is just not true and I've been around enough of them shot up on the Highline in Montana where it gets about as cold as anywhere out there and I've never seen it or anything even remotely close! I'd say that statement is a hypothesis and nothing else.

If you get some of the 52 A-Maxes let us know how you make out. I may have to order a box or two and give them a go this winter as well.

Good luck in your project.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah and one more thing about the 40's in a big 22 I would also prefer more weight for yotes if the dogs are gonna be taken come what may. But, for pure calling I'd not hesitate one bit on using the lil 40's.

Just my thoughts.

Have a super day!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, Thank you very much for your comments and experience. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear! If you try the 52 gr. A-Max, please give me a "report". I'll do the same! thanks again....George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am gonna see if I can get some ordered, I'll let you know if and when it happens.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

another pelt friendly load that I've used for years is the 63 Sierra, that is one fantastic and ugly bullet!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

You may have read too much into my comments about the 40g BT bullets expanding on contact-I also NEVER mentioned that about the 50g+ bullets.

What I was trying to say was I have SEEN -with my own eyes -evidence of 40G Vmax and BT bullets BEGINNING to open up before penetrating the skin on wet or frozen hides!You know we have a lot of ice and snow in Oklahoma and Kansas too. I have skinned many yotes shot with 40 grainers and it does not take a rocket scientist for figure out when you see a twice larger than caliber entrance whole in the hide SOMETHING is going on a soon as the bullet hits the'yote's fur!

Does this mean such bullets should NOT be used for coyotes-of course not! What it DOES mean is that a closer ranges at high impact velocites,those bullets which were designed for prairie dogs-not deep pentration on 40lb canids- tend to do some weird things at times.I would prefer a bullet thats 25% heavier(50g+) and thus a bit slower as well.On ribcage only hits, I would have no trouble with 40gainers out of a big cased 22.For shoulder shots I like a 50g+ bullets.I think the 40grainers are at their best for 'yotes in .223 or smaller cases.For Prairie dogs-that's another matter...

To illustrate the weird things that can happen when any frangible bullet hits a solid object at near muzzle velocity, I once hit an Okahoma Bobcat in the chest,head on at about 30yards with a 22-250 using 52 HP loads.He was called inby an ex ADC-Govt.trapper buddy.The bullet entered in the left shoulder pocket in the chest.It veared outward nearly tearing off the Bobcat's shoulder BUT not going into the vitals.In knock the cat down but he got up and ran off.We had to trail that cat several hundred yards into a creek bottom and dipatch it with a pistol(still very much alive and snarling).

one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the AMAX stands for accuracy, and the VMAX denotes varmint so maybe the AMAX's weren't intended for hunting game. I know this is true with Sierra and their HPBT Match bullets. They list a warning not to use them for game. Personally I use whatever I have the most of. Any varmints I shoot are not for the table so it doesn't much matter. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cal, Although I haven't used Hornady 22 caliber AMAX's on varmints, I have used in the past, 52 and 53 grain Sierra and Winchester Match bullets in 22-250's and 222Magnums. Their accurracy was astounding but their "terminal" results were less than stellar! Now on a side note, ole Ray Speer used to make 52 grain GOLD MATCH bullets!! Those were a different story! Accurrate and downright deadly from a 22-250 at even less than stellar velocity!!! You had to look for the entrance hole!!! Then if you did a "post-mortem" the insides looked like there was an explosion using little "gold" shrapnel! Hardly ever an exit!!! Just jello varmints!!! As far as the AMAXs go, I use them in the 6mm stuff for the "far off" stuff but the biggest drawback I see to them is the lack of "dust" or visible POI when trying to spot. If they connect, it's all over! Check out Boyd Heaton or Butch Keen over at "wildcatshooting.com" and ask them about the AMAX's on their long range stuff. They also are fond of the Sierra MATCHKINGS for stuff a long way off! So much so that they convinced me to set up a long range deer depopulation 7mmSTW using 150 grain Sierra Matchkings for a client this spring........work like a charm so far! (600-1000 yards) GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the .22 Hornady 53g FB Match bullets on yotes and they work pretty well.Of course a Coyote's shoulder offers a bit more resistance to help expansion than do smaller varmints,so maybe that is the difference.

The Speer 52g HPs have always been real BOMBs when they hit something.Got to love 'em....