New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Varmints?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mid-June I most likely will have to attend a conference in Denver. Since I owe my 10 yo son some sort of varmint hunting trip I thought maybe I could combine the two and take him hunting for a few days prior to my conference. Anyone able to offer suggestions on pd's or squirrel/chuck shooting within a few hours drive of Denver?

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be a bit of a drive to Elkhart, KS. Some great p-dog shooting in the National Grasslands there. I am sure there is something closer to Denver though. I am not the guy who could tell you where though. You might look into the Commanche National Grasslands down by La Junta. Not sure about that. beer

Make every shot count!!!

Make every shot Count!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember hearing somewhere that pd's are protected in Co. but can be shot on private property with landowner's permission.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
788, you got that right! "Dern tree-huggers!"
troll
The DOW guys will definitely issue you a citation for being on public land. That's why my partner and I developed a form to become a "Landowner's Agent." The DOW's have seen it when they've checked to see if we have permission to hunt on a particular private land, then laugh. They know that PDs shouldn't have the status they do, but they're forced to enforce the law.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will you drive down, or fly??

No problems in Dakotas, or Wyo like here in CO.

Had and think we still have a cave in in charge of DoW. So they let the anti's outlaw p'doggin.
Had to file a suit to get it reopened on private lands. Can't shoot 'em on public lands. As they are: "an endangered species".

Only trouble is, they'll become even more scare soon as the plague starts enmasse. Many areas have already died off.

About every 3-5 yrs if they are not culled enough by shooting, coyotes or other ways. They'll over breed and get the plague, then they'll ALL die off for several years. Takes about 2-5 yrs to repopulate an area most of the time.

I've shot thousands from a couple big towns over a period of more than 20yrs, by doing it several times a year they stay healthy. When left alone, they'll have a mass die off within 5 yrs almost everytime.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6001 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote