THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    17 Remington Fireball Ammo available already

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Remington Fireball Ammo available already
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw this on line, that 17 Rem Fireball ammo is already evidently available..

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/46129-56444-2854.html

anyone seen any rifles yet???

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Posters at both varminthunters.com and saubier.com report receiving their rifles.

I believe ammo was also in stock at Natchez.

The exact difference (if any) between it and the 17MIV will soon be known. I'm betting on case neck o.d. to be the biggest difference.

Will my 17MIV still be a wildcat?

Greg

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
This is one .17 that I will have to have. Now to decide if I want it in a Contender or a bolt rifle...

Mulerider-The neck length of the two is, reportedly, different. From a technical standpoint, I guess that still leaves your Mach IV as a wildcat.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9397 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Yup, I see the rifles on Gunbroker.com

Wonder how soon CZ will offer their 527 in .17 Remington Fireball ? That would be the one to get Big Grin

Remington needs to do a run of their SS 700 SPS in this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The main difference in the 17 or 17 mach 4
Is the shoulder is sharper on the mach 4 than a fireball.
they are not interchangeable
bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill r:
The main difference in the 17 or 17 mach 4
Is the shoulder is sharper on the mach 4 than a fireball.
they are not interchangeable
bill

Whereas the 221 Fireball does have a 23deg shoulder, both the 17 Fireball and the 17MIV have a 30deg shoulder.
Actual owners of both 17's report the differences so slight, it will be on an individual rifle basis as to whether the factory ammo would work. Not necessarily a good thing, as it could get iffy if someone uses ammo really not suited for a rifle.
But most current 17MIV owners know this, as they reload out of necessity. Future buyers of 17MIV rifles could get into trouble if told, "sure, that factory 17FB stuff will work"...
One thing for sure is the 17FB brass will be useable in the 17MIV.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
I was at Williams Gunsight 2 weeks ago and he had a couple .17 fireball SPS's.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one followed me home on Monday, it's the VSF. 26 inch blued fluted barrel and HS Precision stock with a full length aluminum bedding block. There was no sun today so the picture looks darker than the rifle actually is.

Greg a fired case is about .003 wider at the body/shoulder juncture and about .004 wider right in front of the web, the neck is also longer.
My main concern was throat length but a 25 grain V-Max can be seated out far enough to seat squarely into the lands, fit the magazine and still have good purchase on the bullet. I only have one case till Ammo shows up from Natchez Monday to get some fired brass so I've been loading and firing one at a time for break-in.
The trigger came around nicely with a little work at just under 2 lbs and quite crisp.
The verdict is still out but my hopes are high.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote