THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    New Cooper Phoenix 223, what scope?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Cooper Phoenix 223, what scope?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted
I purchased today a Cooper Phoenix in 223 for my trip to Montana for P-dogs. I need a scope quick. I have read a lot of posts on here and it seems most people shoot at 11x-14X so any higher power than that might not be needed. If that is the case how bought a Vari-x 111 or what ever they are calling them now in 4.5-14x40. I have one on my 22 k-hornet that is also making this trip.

I plan on taking a spotting scope and binos. this is my first trip so any suggestions are welcome.

Wayne

Live everyday, like it was your last!!

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
montana, that 4.5x14x40 will work just fine but if you shoot really long past 500 yds go with a 6.5x20,be sure to check out their varmit hunter retical,i bought one in a vx3 4.5x14x40 no ao ,its mounted on my 30-06 and i''m haveing a blast with it, fine choice in your rifle congrats, have fun take plenty of ammo, regards jjmp wave

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
4.5-14 is about perfect. Mirage prohibits much magnification over 8 power in the heat of the day where you are going, but you still can reach out for the long ones.

I'm changing my scopes on varmint rifles to the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with the Mil Dot reticle.

I've got a really nice 6-18x50 Swarovski with the Plex reticle that I'll make a good deal on to any one interested.

One of our shooting partners has and used that rifle a few weeks ago. He really loves it. Good choice.

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana: Many decades of using 20X plus power scopes (Unertls, Bausch & Lomb, Redfields etc) has proven to me that the more scope power you have on your Colony Varmint Rifles the more kills you will make!
YES - you can see mirage better with 20+ power scopes and that is a good reminder that having a 14 power or an 8 power scope out in the heat of the day DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT erase the deleterious effects of aiming on Colony Varmints!
If the mirage is bad enough to be distorting the REAL location of your target at 20 power it is doing the same thing at 8 power!
Indeed you may have to take up a sight picture that is shimmering and somewhat out of focus at 20+ power, but those conditions are live with able!
I don't even try to shoot Colony Varmints at 300 + yards with an 8 power scope anymore!
There is a better way!
I HIGHLY recommend the 6x18, 6.5x20 or 6 x24 power variables for your 223's and Colony Varminting!
Also don't forget a spot light and some Varmint Calls to take along on your Big Sky Varmint Safari! The young Coyotes (easier to fool!) are getting out these days and they will make for some good sport at night (or very early mornings) if you are not to tired from your Prairie Doggin days to get after them early and late!
Also with the 20 power scopes you can more easily differentiate between distant Prairie Dogs and the similarly sized and shaped Burrowng Owls - they inhabit the same denning grounds!
Be careful there in this regard.
I have seen a couple of Burrowing Owls "accidentally" poofed up over the years!
Shame that!
I went to the Cooper site and had a look at the Phoenix Rifle and its certainly a great looking Rifle! I hope yours shoots as well as it looks!
Drive careful when you go and best of luck with whichever scope you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 4x16 that works great some 6x24s that work great. I would recommend something around there.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a 6-18 on my 223 and havent shot it that long. maybe 2-3 months and im ready for more power. i highly recomend a leupold vx-3 in 6.5x20, or i believe its a 6.8-25. the 4.5x 14 is great but i think you will want more power at some point.

to help with mirage problems,get a long sun shade for it. they work great. happy hunting

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody, I purchased a Burris 6-24x44 with the mil-dot. I like power almost bought the next one up.
I have a 4.5x14 leupy on my deer rifle. Most shots it is on 11X, I like to count hairs.

Wayne

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
imo, the Burris was an excellent choice. hope you have (or had) good luck on the hunt Smiler

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Leaving on the 8th, will post pics upon return.

This Cooper is awesome

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Burris is my first choice for .223s.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Montana:
Thanks everybody, I purchased a Burris 6-24x44 with the mil-dot. I like power almost bought the next one up.
I have a 4.5x14 leupy on my deer rifle. Most shots it is on 11X, I like to count hairs.

Wayne

Wayne I have a Burris on my .223 it's a 6 X 24 and in the early mornings I can crank it up. But by late morning and into the afternoon I find my scope set at the 10 to 14 power. That's my two cents worth. It has accounted for PD's to 480 yards.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I'm surprised no one has recommended the Leupold 12x. It has an objective adjustable for parallax with great glass, and it's really about all the magnification you'll ever use.
I've been on 6 varmint hunts out west and I've tried a 4.5-14x and a 5.5-20x. The fixed 12x has been my favorite.