New
Find
Notify
Tools

Predator Calls
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was thinking about investing in a predator calling device for some red foxes. They've started coming out during the early evening hours so I feel like if I had some sort of call I could get them in a good area for a shot. I was just wondering if anyone here has a call and certain type of tape that works well on red foxes? Some of the calls I looked at looked pretty expensive so I wasn't really looking forward to having to buy a couple before I'd get one that works well.

Posts: 83 | Location: Hampton Roads, VA | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would start with a mouth call first rather than buying the expensive electronic callers. I like the Sceery Eastern kit for the Red Fox over here. All you need is some cammo clothing and a distress Rabbit or mouse whistle/coaxer to get you started.You can buy them at Cabela's online or maybe you have an outdoor store near you with something like this. I find this type of predator calling far more rewarding than having a electronic device do all the work. I mean, isn't it mean't to be the Hunter outwitting the prey?. Happy Hunting...
Mick..

Posts: 25 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do get an electronic caller, get enough sounds. The bird distress calls are very effective.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
I get asked a lot about what call to start out with. I usually recommend the Sceery AP-3 closed reed jackrabbit call. First, it is very easy to blow well without a lot of practice. It will call coyotes, fox, and cats anywhere.......whether you have jackrabbits or not. The mouthpiece is designed like a pipes so it is easy to hold in your mouth. The body of the call is made of camo'd rubber so it doesn't "clang" around and make a lot of noise banging into things as you walk to your stand. The reed is also very easy to change when the time comes. It is one of three I always have with me in the field.........

The other two production calls that I always carry with me are the Burnham Brothers Mini-Blaster and the Crit'R Call Pee Wee.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Burnham Bros. Mini-Blaster

Crit'R Call Pee Wee

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy the art of predator calling. $25.00 well spent from Allpredatorcalls.com. No killing just how and when to call with open reeds. Closed reeds work great but they freeze up pretty easy for me. Talley-Ho a tweety or any of the above calls. I hunt southern Pa and Western Maryland. Tweety kills them. Soft and squeeky is what you need. Check ebay for an old tape player type, mine works pretty well. Preymaster is supposed to be good. Foxpro is the best IMO on the market but they are salty. Burn one with an open reed and you will leave the e-caller at home.

one of us
Picture of Richard Kymble
posted Hide Post
G'day TriggerHappy,

I use a button whistle. They're made of tin and cost 2 or 3 dollars. They sound like a distressed rabit / hare. PM your postal details and I'll get one over to you

They look like this...

and sound like this...

click here to download

nearly forgot to add, I got the links from this site http://apache.airnet.com.au/~pscarter/ some good info on fox hunting Australian Style

Posts: 129 | Location: Brisbane. Queensland. Australia. | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote