New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Semi-Auto or Bolt Action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AZ: where in this entire thread does anyone say the AR's are more accurate than a good bolt gun?
And you compared BR bolt guns to AR's; hardly a valid comparison in money or equipment.
As stated earlier, many AR varminters (for ~$850, not $1300), will compete strongly with most good bolt guns as to accuracy, often doing as well as the shooter can accomplish.
Remember the original question?

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jgiefer nailed it quite well. I certainly know the that all semi's are not accurate, but to knock the modern AR platform as inaccurate is to likely indicate you have never owned or shot one, or were incredibly unlucky with a rare lemon.
I once had a negative, uneducated, view of the AR's, but now I know better! 3000+ rounds of Highpower competition, plus observing some High Master shooters, informed me....

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote
For those that say someone isn't serious about bolt guns if they think AR's are just as accurate - take your best bolt gun and challenge David Tubb.

Sorry, but that is not a valid comparison. It only demonstrates that David Tubb is a good shot, not that ARs are more accurate than bolt guns.

Even the standard M16 is pretty damn accurate; I used to compete with one.

I am not saying ARs are not accurate (that DPMS might have been the most accurate out of the box gun I have ever fired - you can read about it in this month's VARMINT HUNTER Magazine), but to say they are just as accurate as bolt guns is just BS.

The really expensive ARs (DPMS et al) are often compared to $400 bolt guns. Spend $1300 on a bolt gun, and you will get a very accurate gun.

Again, if they were the most accurate, they would hold accuracy records, but they don't.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
"Save yourself a whole bunch of potential aggravation and frustration, buy a quality bolt gun."

Now I know why I usually never post here. What a load of biased crap. Why would someone make a statement like this without quantifying it? The topic of this post was a gun for prairie dogs, not bench rest shooting, where I am sure a bolt gun would be better.

For those that say someone isn't serious about bolt guns if they think AR's are just as accurate - take your best bolt gun and challenge David Tubb. The point here is that there are AR's that are more accurate than most shooters, and for the application of prairie dogging, IMHO AR's are the best suited. Fine if you disagree, but at least try to back it up with some reasoning instead of saying something like "bolt guns are better".