THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Any winchester m70 stealth owners

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any winchester m70 stealth owners
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have returned a cz laminate 22/250 and am thinking now about the m70 stealth, are they good. do others own and like them will they shoot accurately, they look impressive.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
Here's one cheap..Stealth II 223 wssm

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lofter,

a lot of mucking around and cost to buy from the states, but thanks at any rate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, because I don't own one and I know how irritating it is when people who don't own items review them, but...

I've heard somewhat mixed reviews about the M70's, ranging from the highest praise to utter disgust and dissapointment. Conversely, if you're looking for an excellent .22-250 I can highly recommend the Savage 12 series, be it the BVSS or the Varmint Low Profile. I own two Savage rifles and both are consistently under 3/4 inch (.22-250 is 1/2") with handloads. The value is also excellent.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tmoore,

I have bought a filthy Remington in .243 mainly due to the extra's available and the fact it's a varmint gun, I need to accept I don't need some of the features of my hunting rifles however hard that is for me.

I to had read mixed reports about the m70 from awsome to below par.

posted Hide Post
I have a Heavy Varmint, same as Stealth only has a stainless barrel in .22-250, shoots .5" groups. Use W760 Powder, tried some H380, works great on PD's and sage rats. If you want a Stealth, buy it, it will probably shoot just as good as a Savage, and you will have what you want, which is what you ask in the first place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a winchester stealth in .308 and it shoots .5 inch groups all day long with 168 grain match kings and 165 gr BTs

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I bought a new in the box mod 70 .25 wssm. for whiteail and other small game. On my first trip to the range I brought some win factory loads 100gr supreme. When I fired them the bolt was difficult to lift the handle but I continued to zero the scope and the shoot some groups. This gun shot worst than any gun I have ever fired. 3-4 inches at 100 yards was the best group. so I checked the scope cleaned the gun and tried again another day the results were tyhe same. I could not belive my results so I took the gun to my gunsmith and had him remount the scope and then took the gun to a local guy that makes realy good custom ammo and left it with him to work up a load,after a few days He called me and said to come pick up my rifle that he could not make it shoot. I called winchester and the service people treated me like I was a idoit and were no help.Just told me to send them the rifle.
I talked to my gunsmith he said that in his experince that they would send the gun back and say there was nothing wrong with it. I belive Him after my conservation.
I'm stuck with a gun that I can't feal good about selling so I guese I'll let Kevin Weaver rebarrel and square my action. around $600.
Has anyone else had thes problemes with winchester.

posted Hide Post
DR B
I also have a Model 70 Coyote in .223, I could not get the trigger below 3 lbs. so I sent it to a reputable gunsmith and had a Timmney trigger put in it. After bout 1000 rds. the safety would not engage anymore. I took it to a smith and he said the striker had been filed to far and Winchester does not sell strikers and firingpin anymore without factory installation. Isent rifle to Winchester and the replaced the striker and firingpin installed a new safety, put a Winchester trigger in all for no chg. All I paid was frt.

posted Hide Post
I have an older one I bought used last year..it is in nice shape..the bore is very smooth & easy to clean.Very little fouling & shoots consistently good clean or dirty...The trigger was kinda stiff so I added a timney adjustable..The scope was not great either...So I switched it up to a Leupold 6.5 X 20 40mm AO model.[should have spent the xtra $$ on the 50mm AO].it is a decent shooting gun with modest handloads appx..3500 fps & good V-Max 55gr bullets it is easy to shoot under .750 all day at 100 yds..best ever 100 yds was under .400.measured edge to edge...Funny thing is it at 200 yds it will shoot under an inch all day long.somedays the 200 yd groups look better..I think the problem may be in the scope & the parralax adjustments/OPERATOR ERROR ?? moving my head from shot to shot ??not sure but it is a real nice varmint rig..heavy enough with the bipod & other junk I carry ..I use a golf cart to wheel it around..It is capable to just over 300 yds with that load I prefer.I've shot many Pa. groundhogs with it..I wish I knew how to post a pic of it,this is not like e-mail..mike in ct

posted Hide Post
Ijust got one of the older ones, brand new .223, when they weren't chambered only in Winchesters new calibers.

Fantstic rifle. Great barrel, Wilson I think, absolutely no fouling to speak of. HS Precision stock, aluminum bedding block and bedded from the factory, chip the epoxy off the trigger adjustment, drop it to about 1.25 lbs with a little moly grease for a great trigger. No shit, I get 3/8" to 1/2", 200 yd 5 shot groups.

I was looking for one of the older ones and finally found it. My other option was to be the Remington police rifle but it was more $ and I am a Winchester guy. The 1 in 9 twist is a neccesity for me. It cost me $479. Great deal and a definate keeper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a stealth 2 in 243wssm and it had a rusted and pitted bore! I sent it back and they said it met the specs I said it didn't meet mine I've been a gunsmith for 38yrs and never seen a new gun with a bore like that.They told me if it shoots 1 1/2 inch groups it meets there specs! after some arguing they sent me another one but it didn't shoot well and I tried alot of bullets and powders and then traded it in for a rem 700vssf 22-250 and it shoots great.

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Winchester Stealth in .223 Rem shoots just fine. A 55 gr. Sierra GK with 26.5 grs. of Varget delivers .4-.5 groups at 100. 3250 fps. muzzle velocity. At 300 it dumps five rounds into 1.5-1.9 inches on a windless day. The 69 gr. Sierra Match Kings group about the same with 24.5 grs. Varget.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
I have returned a cz laminate 22/250 and am thinking now about the m70 stealth, are they good. do others own and like them will they shoot accurately, they look impressive.

I'n wondering why are you dissatisfied with the CZ? Another 22-250 doesn’t seem like it’s going to do much more for you. Can you share a little more with us?

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had 2 of them one had a rusted and pitted bore then winchester sent another one and it didn't shoot that well so i traded it for a rem700 vssf 22-250 wich shoots great but winchester told me that 1 1/2 inch groups is all they expect from the stealth if I wanted better to buy the coyote it has tighter specs under 1 moa

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
A freind of mine bought a 70 coyote in 22-250 and that thing wouldnt hold 3 inch groups at 80 yards w/ 3 different people shooting it. Took it to gunsmith who recrowned, new trigger and bedded it . Now it shoots just at MOA. The crown from the factory had a burr on it that you could feel with your finger.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone else had thes problemes with winchester.

No

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard tonight winchester is going to stop making guns they are closing the plant in conn.