New
Find
Notify
Tools

17HMII vs 17HMR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
ANybody out there shooting the new 17HMII? I have an accurate CZ in 17HMR and was wondering if there would be any reason to buy a 17HMII.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Cat Doctor
posted Hide Post
I've had both stay with what you have. the II is fine if you don't want to make long shots (more than 50 yards.) my 17 hmr will shoot a better group at 100 than the II will at 50.

Posts: 165 | Location: missouri | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got both, they both shoot less than moa, and at $6-$7 a box the 17M2 is more economical and provides 17hmr performance out to about 100-125yd or so, is less destructive if you're after meat. Check out the 17M2 forum at RFC, lots of shooters there that have both and love em!!

http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don't see the purpose in the II. especially if you already have the HMR. If I want something less than the HMR I'll use my 22's. Yea I know the II ammo is cheaper the HMR but 22's are cheaper yet. and rocks are cheaper yet.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Few .22s will shoot as accurate as the 17M2 and none will shoot as flat!! Those that hunt small game for the table love the M2.

Tim

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
I just don't see the purpose in the II. especially if you already have the HMR. If I want something less than the HMR I'll use my 22's. Yea I know the II ammo is cheaper the HMR but 22's are cheaper yet. and rocks are cheaper yet.

This is pretty much what I have been thinking; just wanted to solicit some other opinions too.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Sorry to chime in late, I have been gone for a few days (working). thumbdown
quote:
Originally posted by wrongtarget:
Few .22s will shoot as accurate as the 17M2 and none will shoot as flat!!
Those that hunt small game for the table love the M2.

Tim

Within a reasonable distance (75 yards or so) Aguila Super Maximum High Velocity 22LR ammo will shoot very nearly as flat and with more energy than the M2. ($3.00 a box)

A good 22 can be just as accurate. I have shot the M2 and a DECENT 22 side by side, (with two different shooters) and the difference was so little that my friend sold his M2 and bought a good 22.

The best part of this is I can shoot El Cheapo 22 ammo in my 22, but with an M2 you are stuck with the more expensive ammo.

NJMO.

Butchloc is right...

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own both the .17 Mach 2 and the .17 HMR in Cooper M-59's. At 50 yards both will hold all shots into the head of the guy on the dime. At 100 yards both rifles will normally keep all shots in or touching the head. These are shot using 16X MK 4's. I must admit that the little Mach 2 gets shot the most. CCI with the .17 HMR will absolutely drop a deer deader than dead with an eyeball shot every time. The CCI's do not seperate. Coyotes, bobcats and turkeys all get the HMR treatment. The Mach 2 seems to be a solid 150 yard shooter and thats it. You basically get another 50 yards out of the HMR.
On windy days all beats are off with the Mach 2 at 100 yards and beyond.

Posts: 251 | Location: TX | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flippy--Here is a Hillbilly test for you and your .22
Go to the sawmill and get a 1-1/2" slab of either red or white oak. Back off at 50 yards and let'er rip and see what happens. The .22 will not have total penetration nor will a .22 Mag. The little .17 Mach 2 will splinter out the back side of the slab and bounce off the backstop using Hornady or CCI brand. The .17 HMR will blow the splinter off the back side and penetrate either cotton wood or sycamore tree truck about 1/4" using CCI brand.
And no, I would never ever get rid of my .22 Martini. They all have their +'s

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by one-holer:
Flippy--Here is a Hillbilly test for you and your .22
Go to the sawmill and get a 1-1/2" slab of either red or white oak. Back off at 50 yards and let'er rip and see what happens. The .22 will not have total penetration nor will a .22 Mag. The little .17 Mach 2 will splinter out the back side of the slab and bounce off the backstop using Hornady or CCI brand. The .17 HMR will blow the splinter off the back side and penetrate either cotton wood or sycamore tree truck about 1/4" using CCI brand.
And no, I would never ever get rid of my .22 Martini. They all have their +'s

Here is my “Hillbilly Test†results from the past 20 years.

My 300SAV model 99 against my Dad’s 44 Mag Contender @ 50yards.

300SAV, 150g “generic†handloads using Sierra, Hornady (or whatever was on sale at the time): hole right through a 6-7†young fir tree. Going in 30 caliber, coming out about 70 caliber or so.

My Dad’s 44Mag with 240g loads (loaded to the absolute max):
Blew the tree in half.
TIMBER!!!

Which one has more “power?â€
Answer: the 300SAV, by a comfortable margin.

Next test: (back in my youthful days, read: STUPID)

9mm handgun at 10 yards, 115g FMJ.
Backstop materiel consisted of an 2 old oil boxes, the first with auto part catalogs (read: phone books) stacked front to back on end, the next with cardboard stuffed front to back and both with a 1†pine shelf wedged in to keep it all tight.

First (and only) shot: penetrated ALL of the catalogs, ALL of the cardboard and traveled another 15-20 feet at a downward angle, glancing off the concrete floor, then hitting a metal door, glancing up (ricochet!) at a 45* angle, penetrating some more crap on a shelf and finally coming to rest about 35 feet from the metal door, wedged in a shelf unit.

After I told several friends of mine what occurred they told me there was no way a 9mm would penetrate all of that stuff, even with a FMJ.

My long winded point is, wood does not work the same as any kind of “animal†does, be it two-legged or four. Wood tends to plug up the cavity on hollow points and makes them act like FMJ’s. I have recovered bullets from earthen backstops that have the cavities filled with wood and exhibit little or no expansion.

Plus I have never seen an animal that was wearing a 1 1/2†slab of red or white oak as armor. Have you? bewildered

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of 17Hummer
posted Hide Post
Ha Ha That flippy dude said Wood armour. I never dun thought of that. I betcha I could Make my self some money. We got lotsa wood here in orygun I could sell wooden armour ta all dem rockchucks over East of me. It would work reel good fer them little devils out past oh say 75 yrds er so. clap

Ignorance is excusable. STUPIDITY is not!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 6 | Location: weste'n Orygun | Registered: 04 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flippy--Two years ago I was hunting hogs down in Old Mexico. The big bank property neighbor let one of their full grown african lions escape onto the 15,000 acres I was hunting on. The Mexican ranch family went to the pond to bath that evening and the lion put everyone up a tree--mother, father,two daughters and a baby.
Next day Mexican daddy gets his cricket .22 He takes heavy black gear grease and packs the heads of his .22 hollowpoints. "What are you doing" "This is so the bullet won't bounce off the lions
head" "Why in Gods name would you go after a Lion with a .22" "Because it is better than using a machete."
Flippy, this guy must have been reading your emails down south of the border.
Anybody out there up for tigers,leopards,elephants,or buffs with wood tipped .22's?

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Funny stuff there.
Like the guy who hunts ferel hogs with a spear and a knife funny.

Oh, and what happened to the lion?