New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunt report (rant)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went calling last night, buddy drives two hours to my place and then we drive another hour to get to the spot, Red fox honey hole. Worth three hours driving. Gear up dressing by the truck, fog starts in like in a horror movie. RED LIGHTS DO NOT BURN THROUGH FOG!!!!! Damn well try it anyway. Then we hear it, 3 inch exhaust flying down the road, acclerates going by us. It is state land, 1100 acres. We park on the edge and hunt into the lot. We make two sets between the truck and the gate 1/4 mile down the road. Two sets burnt right now, make them right on the dirt road, produced 7 for 7 in last two seasons. I say well, maybe it is just kids parting or moonlight lovers, run into them all them time. Then we hear the E-caller.

Unreal, a little curtisy and we all could have killed foxes. I would have been happy to split the place up or maybe use some team work. Dude blows right into the middle and plays the F-ing caller as loud as it would go. It was alsmot like he was trying to ruin the place before we could get in there. I know he had as much right to be there as we did, it just chapped my ass the way it went down. It was almost painful resisting the temptation of setting the alarm off in my truck. My buddy wanted to set off the coyote locator on his Fox-pro. We decided to play nice and back out. Plan B produced nothing, we cold called a new area. Need to do a bunch more scouting in there. I am ordering an FX3 in the morning. I will have a Lion roar or Heyneas installed, for the next time. Maybe record "Hey Dickhead, your molesting my hunt" in two minute loops, That would be cool

Hunting on Public ground sucks!!!! Rant off

Hunting at night is tough and I will only do it with select people. Every year there are more and more predator hunting at night. Please be careful (AND CURTIOUS), watch for lights and listen for other callers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Blueprinted: You bring up a good point. I have always extended the courteousy of someone else is first in the area, let them Hunt it out!
I feel bad you guys drove all that way and spent the time and money and effort and had this bummer of an outcome!
Luckily here in SW Montana I seldom ever even see another night Hunter!
Eastern Montana is a little more dicey (fewer roads and you just see the other Hunters more often while travelling).
Still, I grew up Varmint calling in Washington state and lots of times other night Hunters would be in the area and it was easy enough to give them the area, when they are there first.
Kharma says you will have a much better Hunt next outing!
Keep after'em!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blueprinted:They were lucky you showed restraint . I applaude you for that. It does suck that you spent all that time and money, (not easy to spare these days),Just to have your hunt screwed up by rank amatures.
Here in Missouri hunting public lands, in some areas, are simply out of the question. Especialy at night. Other,more out of the way lands are usualy wide open.Even then you will get screwed by others occasionaly.I've even had one jerk in particular walk straight in on me,no light,and no clue.(no moon eiether),lucky for him I'm good about I.D.'ing my targets.Any way this nut starts yelling at my party to,"Get the hell out of his area".and that he'd scouted it out just that day and was pissed to find us already hunting his area. We hed hunted this same area all week long.So you never know what kind of loons you will run into on public lands.
again kudoz to you and your party for your tolerence of the ignorant...

"If winning isn't important...WHY keep score?"

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not care so much we were there first. I would have been more upset if he would have jacked up a set, or cost us a bunch of time. He was just a dick about it. I am just amazed how many predator hunter are out the last two seasons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We recently had a major winter storm roll through,couple of weekends ago.6"sleet 5" snow.after the road crews were done the huntin' was fantastic.As far as I'm concerned,"There's nothing like hunting when the ground is white."
The squeeler was the call of choice.It was crazy easy to kill the yotes.Your absolutely right.There has been a surge of dog hunters as of late. Good luck and happy sets...

"If winning isn't important...WHY keep score?"

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote