THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Considering 25/06 as a varminter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Considering 25/06 as a varminter
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Guys im new to the site and im from Australia.
Now im building a custom rifle and looking at the caliber in 25/06rem. What do you guys recommend this as a varmint cal? Ill be shooting between 200-500yrds mainly at rabbits, foxes, goats and pigs (small-medium game). The gun will consist of:

*Tactical Laminated stock (richard microfit)
*Rem 700 action if available
*#7 barrel either Lilja, Shilen, Kreiger, Maddco or Tobler in around a 26" length
* New Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Target with a Varmint Hunter Reticle.
* And a few other goodies.

This is my first custom gun i will be building.

I look forward to your replies.

Adrian

P.S great site

Posts: 22 | Location: Smithfield, Sydney, NSW, Aus | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GO FOR IT!!! i have been shooting 25/06 off and on for 25 years. currently i shoot a modified SAVAGE Fp110. the beauty of this caliber is, in the hands of a competent marksman one can take game from rabbits to elk. my rifle loves the sierra 90gr hpbt. my best groups are shot with imr4831 and RL19. i am sure you will get varying opinions. this is mine.

Posts: 34 | Location: sebring,fl | Registered: 11 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Adrian,

Welcome to the website. Glad to have you with us. I'll be watching the response to your query closely. I got my Christmas present a bit early, a Remington 700BDL in .25-06.
It has a 22" barrel and weighs 7.5lbs. Being based on the .30-06 the case holds a lot of powder, and I'm wondering what the recoil is like. I'm 67 and don't want to end up a spastic cripple. I've wanted this caliber for ages, but actually know little about it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal, Recoil is not alot when it comes to the 25/06 even when shooting heavier proj. But my rifle will be probably double your rifles wieght as its going to be a benchgun/varminter. 1" decelerator will be fitted so recoil shouldnt be an issue.

Posts: 22 | Location: Smithfield, Sydney, NSW, Aus | Registered: 10 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could only have one rifle(GOD forbid) to do all my huntin with, it would be a 25-06!!!! Ole man Niedner was onto something when he necked down the 30-06 to 25!!! Varmints to deer(even elk) are fair game with a 25-06 loaded accordingly!! Recoil on your heavy gun will be minimal! Probably using the scope you mentioned will still be able to see hits at 200 yards!!! Get yourself a supply of Reloader 19 and "H" or "IMR" 4831 powder, some 85 Nosler BT's and some 115 Nosler BT's and just for "S&G", some 90 grain Sierras! Ought to about cover whatever you want to cover!! Any of the bullets ought to "blow a roo over" at whatever distance you want to try him at!!! The 25-06 will teach him what a "kick" is all about!! GHD....pastor at the church of GHD..25-06!!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hi Guys im new to the site and im from Australia.
*#7 barrel either Lilja, Shilen, Kreiger, Maddco or Tobler in around a 26" length

G'day Adrian
I just want to suggest that you get a Kreiger barrel. I use them on my competition rifles. The South Australian Rifle Association is the Australian distributor for Kreiger and their prices are pretty good at the moment. Their number is 82445533. Why get a Maddco or a Tobler when you can get a Kreiger?
Regards
Ben

Posts: 96 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ben whats the price difference thow on a Kreiger compared to Tobler lets say? I know a few people that have all these barrels and all love each of them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's basically no difference in price at the moment. Call Paul at the SARA store between 9am-4:30pm today or tomorrow because they'll be shut for about 4 weeks for Christmas after Friday.

Posts: 96 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A great caliber and a great scope. I have the similar 4.5-14 x 40LR on one of my rifles and love it.

Good thing about the 25-06 is that it is so versatile. It shoots nice and flat and will take good sized game with 90gn + bullets and vapourises all the smaller stuff with the lighter varmint projectiles.

I mainly hunt NSW and my pet load for the 25-06 is:

Win brass
Rem 9 1/2M primer
Speer 87gn TNT bullet
53.5 gn ADI 2209
COAL 3.15 inches

This is a very mild load and produces spot on 3200fps from a 22" bbl. Groups average .65 @ 100yds in my stock standard Tikka 690 with a 3-9 VX1.
Plenty fast and accurate enough for what I'm chasing.

Because of the practicality of this outfit, most of my other guns won't see anymore sunshine.

So my answer is yes, it is a great all round varmint/hunting caliber but no,I wouldn't want it in anything more than a practical and light hunting configuration.
I think it is more suited to an outfit that weighs less than 8.5 pounds including a scope of no more than 10x and that's because you'll want to carry it, and shot it everywhere you go!

In reality, most of the game you will ever shoot will be taken at well under 200yds.

Just my 2 cents worth but hey, welcome to the site and good luck with your new project.

Cheers,
Boof.....

Posts: 90 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just spoke to Paul - I'm going in there tomorrow to buy some powder and bullets for summer practice - they'll be closed by 12-1pm.

This is the link to their price list:
http://www.riflesa.asn.au/PriceList.htm
The prices listed are for the last time they sold one, not necessarily for what's in stock. So, if the AU$ is stronger than the last time they sold a Kreiger, it will be cheaper.

Regards
Ben

posted Hide Post
BJ i rang them and are abit more expensive although they might be better i will stick with tobler and another project will find a krieger.

*Boof i understand mate, but i have a .270 for the *walkaround* rifle. I hunt in hills sometimes with gulleys stretching beyond 500yrds, so i can set up my rug and fire away. Plus there are many other benefits.