New
Find
Notify
Tools

nightvision for coyotes
 Login/Join

<chris>
posted
does anyone own a night vision scope? i want to puchase one to call coyotes at night. whats a good brand and,or model?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris - This isn't exactly the answer you are looking for but it works and it's a LOT cheaper.
I learned a long time ago that I could use the scopes with the big objective lenses for night shooting. I mean without ANY artificial spotlight or whatever. I've dusted off several fox this way. I would say anything from a 1/2 moon on up provides enough light to make some pretty frightening shots. An LED crosshair can make it even easier, but I prefer just the led dot. But the LED isn't necessary either in most situations.

You might try this before you blow the money for some night vision equip. Just go out some moonlite night and play around in the dark. You might be surprised.

Be sure to just sit quietly in the dark for a bit and let your eyes get accustomed to it before you start the game. It's a lot of fun.

Good hunting.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best night vision is a 1,000,000 cp Q-Beam with red lens.
Seriously Night vision scopes and goggles suck for predator hunting as they only work really well on bright nights. And the predators can still see you. If leagle in your area use a light and once you spot eyes keep them in the edges of the light. As long as you can see their eyes shinning they cannot see you if you are behind the light.When in range hit them with the main beam and blast them.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The great state of Kentucky, in it's infinite wisdom, says you can hunt 'yotes anytime you want, you just can't use artificial light.

SOOO, I have been doing the moonlight thing myself. Killed one last night around 02:15h.

I find that without overcast skies, I can see to take them out to about 50yds., about 7 nights per month. On full moon nights I can hit them as far as 90-100yds.

I use a Ruger .22 Hornet with 3x9 scope with a 50mm.objective. I found that the lower setting works best.

My technique is to sit alongside old mining and logging roads(private land), the foxes and 'yotes standout in nice contrast to the light dirt roads.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, your experience mirrors my own exactly.
Obviously some thought has to be given to the terrain. This technique wouldn't work well in heavy cover, for example. But if a person picks his backgrounds wisely, you can be quite effective with no light at all. It's a WILD sort of hunting!

A word of caution - Be careful where you do this as in the dark it isn't always possible to totally identify the target. You don't want to shoot some farmer's dog or cat. I've called fox up close enough to shake hands with them. (Not that I tried THAT trick!) [Eek!]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last few nights I have been hunting on a strip mine. I found a large flat very light colored group of boulders that were left by the reclamation company for future use.

I have been putting about 5 drops of fox urine on the rock and the coyotes walk right up to investigate, they are very easy to see in the moonlight.

On the original question, I found the red scope mounted varmint light far superior to the night vision scopes, I just had to stop using it with the law changes.

Posts: 260 | Location: ky. | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My trick for going all out at the Jackals & Lynxes involves the following , I use night vision goggles that I got off a army base that closed down about a year ago , These I only use when I cant see Jack Sh$% , without the moon helping me out . Secondly I use a spotlight , with red filter lense on , that is controlled by a 12 v battery & a rheostat , for simply turning the light up slowly . Trust me I have seen many Lynx bolt at the sight of any light . Other than that I use mt crtr call , and off course the trusty ol K Hornet , or .22-250 depending on cover & settlements around me.

Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote