THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Remington 700 VLS in 204 Ruger caliber

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 VLS in 204 Ruger caliber
 Login/Join

posted
I just recently won a .204 Remington in my local gun raffle. I am a very avid hunter but also very unfamiliar with this caliber. I was wondering if anyone had any information for me on different loads that are on the market. What shoots good, distances, type of game taken, windage, etc. Basically anything that anyone could think of. Any/all information would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 204 is not a very good round , I would be happy to take it off your hands to save you a lot of heartache LOL. The 204 is proably the hottest varmint round to come out in years, the loads for it are limited right now to 32 & 40 grain pills from hornady and remington (4225 fps). For reloading hornady and berger are the only suppliers of bullets and info is availible from hornady. The round is a blast to shoot and is very effective on p-dogs. I have not had the pleasure of trying it out on coyote yet but hope to soon. Congrats on winning a very fine rifle.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
feedmdirt, That was really my ticket you had!!! Anyway, you will love the .204 if you varmint hunt!! The Hornady 32 grain factory loadings "only" averaged 4149 out of my Savage VLP(26" barrel) and the 40's were somewhere around 3700 but they shot so sorry I forgot about them! If I want to shoot a varmint with a 40 grainer, I'll do it with the 222Mag 40X!!! Back to the 32's. H4895 at 28.3 grains seems like a good load(4089fps) and also 31.0 grains of BL-C2 behind the 32Vmax gives 4100fps and good accuracy in my rifle! If you can find data for it, 30.7 grains of BL-C2 is listed as max but there were no pressure signs presnt when I took it all the way to 31.5(4256fps) but not as accurate as the 31.0 loading! You like to see the bullet hit the varmint? You can do it with this one handily! Recoil is negligble and you can stay on the varmint easily! My goal for the weekend is to have measured witnessed kills to 500yards plus with this one! Longest to date is 355 and if you want to see some of it's doings, go to wildcatshooting.com and look up my picture gallery! You will see the definition of "DRT.....dead right there" pictured! That one was 323 yards with a factory 32!! You will love the .204!! Best darn 2-5 dollar raffle ticket you ever bought!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote