THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM VARMINT HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Varmint Hunting    Winchester .223 & 6mmWSSM?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester .223 & 6mmWSSM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am curious about the performance/accuracy of these rounds.
Has anyone here had any experience with them?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted.

[ 02-07-2003, 20:57: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99;
Good choice of words! "News Embargo" I like that one! Sad but True! [Frown]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Read on Gunsandammo.com that the .223 WSSM will be offered in two twist choices due to the wide range of bullet weights available at 40 thru 80.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Two twist choices,,,Sounds like winchester is sucker fishing to me.I run 35 gr. v-max in 1x8,and,1x7 .223 barrels with good success.The same ones that had a steady diet of 75-80 grn. bullets at the match the previous weekend. There is a couple of thin skined bullets to avoid,like the hornady sx. but plenty of other choices.Happy Shooting,Clay.

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All the dealers say aug till i can get my hands on one ( 6mm ) as win has been slow to produce product in the last few years. There is a little ballistic info on the win ammunition page. think the said about 4000 fps for a 55grn out of the 6mm

Posts: 26 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be tempted for the 6mm, but I already have a .243 & 6PPC. The wider range of projectiles availiable wins me over a bit (55gn - 115gn)

But I don't have anything in .223...
What could be anadvantage of the .223?

What rifles is it likely to be availiable in?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would be tempted for the 6mm, though I already have two 6mm's a .234win & 6PPC.

The wider range of bullets wins me over to some extent, ranging from the 55gb Nosler to 115gn Berger in 6mm.

What could be an advantage of the .223?

What rifles are they likely to be availiable in?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ran the 55gn Nosler B-tip at 4000fps through realguns.com ballistic calculater.
With 100yard zero it gives;
1.2 low at 200,
5.9 at 300,
14,9 at 400 &
29.5 at 500 yards.

...Thats pretty flat shooting...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted.

[ 02-07-2003, 20:56: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very keen to get my hands onto one of these if they are all they are promising!

I doubt that it will arrive in Italy, not for along time at least. But I could build one and call it a wildcat...
Buy brass & dies from the states.

There is still no knowledge of the .17HMR here either, I'll have to forget about that one for a while, though I beleive they have it in Germay, at least I assume they do as Anschutz has built a rifle chambered for it.

<Savage 99>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the input Savage 99.
From what I have read so far, there would be little point in geting a 6mmWSSM as it seems to sit right between the 6PPC and the .243 win.
I can't find much it will do that the 6PPC or .243 won't do.

I might wait and see what some further reports say, but the .223 looks like a good varminter, though are next to no true varmint opportunities here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted.

[ 02-07-2003, 20:54: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Express, just an observations, but the 243 WSSM is more like a 6mmrem. Between the 243 and the 240WBY. Darn near twice the case capacity of the PPC case. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<RustyRifling>
posted
I always get a chuckle when someone relates increased throat erosion to short necks. Just goes to show that no matter how much we think we have learned there is always a new myth to take the place of the old ones. And back to the subjec; we've done quite a best of testing with the .223 WSM, but still undecided about dimensions for the .243. This will have to wait a while longer.
Rusty

one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted.

[ 02-07-2003, 20:52: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

<Greg H>
posted
Current issue of RifleShooter and Shooting Times offer some insight into the 223 WSSM. One thing to remember is not only is the round new, the extra short actions add to the appeal to those of us interested. Without the new rifle I think both rounds would be doomed. The 243 WSSM in my opinion will offer about the perfect balance of velocity,hopefully accuracy and barrel life. Too much performance would limit barrel life and give it a bad name as the 220 Swift had.
The dies are listed by Redding already so the final case dimensions must be finalized. The positives in my opinion outweigh the negatives for me. I will own one of the Featherweights in 243 WSSM, if it is a lemon, so what, it won't be the first.
Greg H

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Savage, Rusty works at an independent ballistic testing lab used by the major manufacturers. He gets to "play" with this stuff, often before the final decisions about dimensions are made.

That said, we've been told that the 223 WSSM is about the same capacity as the Swift, and the 243 version is "about 10% larger". FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Rusty, the "short neck" = erosion is not a new myth, it's been around a long while. Same kind of thing as the "steeper shoulder" = less erosion thing.

Maybe true, but I'd hate to try and measure it.... FWIW, Dutch.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
They both sound good. Except I like to shoot my .223 Winchester and watch the bullet's effects in the scope. I don't think I could with a WSSM. PAK

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
No one has mentioned anything about the reduced magazine capacity of the WSSM rounds.

Will the WSSM magazines be one or two rounds shy of the the .30-06 and 223 based cases?

Just a thought

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure Stonecreek will mention it. Magazine capacity means nothing to me in 6mm Rifles. I have a dozen or so rifles with zero magazine capacity.

I am all for new stuff but somehow my interest in the WSSM's is less than earlier. As of now I am making a 6mm Remington.