New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Expansion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We just got back from Wyoming last week shooting pdogs. The load I got worked up right now is 36.5 of reloader 15 and a 50gr v-max, the book says its moving at around 3800 fps, the problem I had was anything past 400 yrds just left a small exit hole about the same as th entrance hole. Just wondering if the Blitzkings or Ballistic tips would have more expanstion at longer ranges? Anybody have any experience with Berger bullets that could help me out?

Thanks

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly doubt that either of the other two bullets would have provided reliable (explosive) expansion at those ranges. After testing several different bullets in my .22-250, dramatic expansion generally stops at around 350 yards. After running the numbers, the bullet is only traveling something like 3300 FPS at 100 yards after exiting the barrel at 3700 (in my case). The bullet just isn't traveling fast enough at 400+ to expand. I've heard that the vmax's need at least 1500 FPS to expand reliably. Velocity loss is fairly rapid with these small .22 centerfires. It has been my experience that the vmax's are some of the most explosive bullets available. I currently am shooting Ballistic Tips and they don't quite open them up like a vmax will. I can't vouch for the hollow points however i'm guessing that the performance would be similar. I have shot several water filled jugs at 500+ with my .22-250 off of a bench and it merely punches a hole through the bottle and doesn't expand rapidly. As far as finding a bullet that will expand at low velocity, good luck. If you want dramatic results, the quick solution would be to move up in caliber (ie a 6mm or a .257 cal rifle (i prefer 25-06)) so that they'll do summersaults at 400+. I guess for now, it's just something we'll have to live with...or of course, just shoot em' in the head Big Grin

Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have shot almost every brand and stlye of 22 cal. bullet, the ultimate is the Briese Buster, but no longer made. In hollowpoints , the Speer 52gr with a hole in the front that almost swallows the target are explosive- BC is lower, but in general all the 22 cals bullets under 70 grains are just plain running out of the retained energy need to be explosive at 400 and beyond. That is why I no longer shot a 22 cal bigger than a 223. I use the little guns for the 0-350 and move up to the 6mm,25, and 7mm for the longer stuff.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote