Find
Notify
Tools

How much accuracy do I need?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
What do you class as enough or minimmun accuracy for varmint calss rifles. I usually shoot 25lb critters and maybe the odd crow and am tickled with my Swift planting 40gr sierras around 1/2".

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
That's plenty. More than enough, really...

If you're shooting 1/2 MOA, that 2 inches at 400 yards, 3 inches at 600.

Obviously things don't normally go that well way out yonder (wind, etc.) but it looks to me like any crow or groundhog that gets within 400 yards of you and your Swift is in trouble. [Wink]

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
A half inch at 100 yds is very, very good for three shots. If my varmint rifle shoots under 3/4" at that range it's ok with me. I like to check them at 200 yards and confirm the point of impact there.

But it's the first shot that's most important. So a rifle that stays sighted in is most valuable. There are not many varmints that need a second shot from a Swift.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I hear so much from some people that talk as if 1/2" is bare minimal for varmint rifles. A porcupine is a fair size compared to a prarrie rat and 300 yards is a fair chunk of distance around here.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Getting below a true .5" is very, very difficult for almost all shooters. An occasional three shot group, sure, but a consistent .5" 5 shot agg?

Pretty tough, unless using wind flags and full-up bench shooting gear. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote